Top Dressing

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by GripB, Nov 9, 2004.

1. GripB

GripB LawnSite Member

I posted this in the "Homeowners Forum" but got no response...so i'm gonna try here. I want to top dress an area of my lawn that has some small tire ruts and bumps in it from construction. The area is approximately 10,000sf. What should I use: sand, screened top soil, compost, etc.? And what is the best way to sread it around?

Thanx in advance!

2. grassnut

grassnut LawnSite Member

You want to avoid "layering" of soil types which will create differences in the way your soil drains. In a perfect world, you would use the same type of soil that is present in your lawn, but then again it's only grass. If it was me, I would:

1. Wait until the spring so the grass will be actively growing.
    2. Get a soil/sand mixture (call around, someone will have some) and spread it by casting it out with a shovel. Don't put to much down at one time, don't cover the grass completely.
    3. Once you have it down, put down a pre-emergent to control weeds. The soil you bought is probably full of weed seeds waiting to germinate.
    4. Water lightly but frequently to help float the sand to the low spots.

You might try posting this over on http://www.turfgrass.com.

Good Luck!

3. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

where in south east pa r u i have a source for topsoil depending how much u want

4. bushtrimmer

bushtrimmer LawnSite Senior Member

When it's a little wet try rolling it to level it out as much as possible. Then aerate it very heavy and spread topsoil over to take out undulations that are left. Not a big deal.

Be careful adding sand. If your soil has clay in it, sand and clay makes bricks.

If you are looking more to topdress to stimulate lawn, increase microbial activity....... Have a company with a mulchblower that can handle compost blow about a half inch of compost over lawn after aerating.

5. GripB

GripB LawnSite Member

10 minutes west of Downingtown