top mowing speeds for ZTR

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by williams lcm, Apr 23, 2010.

1. williams lcm

williams lcm LawnSite Bronze Member

Many companys list the top mowing speeds of their products. Say top speed is listed at 12mph. Is that transport speed or is that top mowing speed while cutting grass? Ferris list the top speed of the 3100 model at 12mph at 80% efficently. Hustler super z can go 15mph but is that the mowing speed? I want to know why companys list top speed of their machines if they can mow at that speed. Thanks

2. georgiagrass

georgiagrass LawnSite Senior Member

If I caught any of my guys mowing at that kind of speed, they'd be fired on the spot.

3. DKJLawnCare

DKJLawnCare LawnSite Member

I only go that fast for transport. i would say I mow somewhere around 5-6 mph on large open areas. Slower if need be

4. mowerbrad

mowerbrad LawnSite Fanatic

Not all mowers are capable of mowing at their top speeds. I could cut at top speed on my old dixie chopper (13mph) and it would leave a good cut (I'd only do that on large open properties). On my old bob-cat, I could mow at about 6mph (top speed was 8.5mph) and still leave a good cut.

The top speeds are really meant more for transporting the mower and even then the top speed is really only good on large properties or transporting it a "long" distance (ie, down the street to another account).

5. MrRob

MrRob LawnSite Member

on a smooth large lawn when the grass isnt too long, I have been known to go top speed...I'd guess most guys mow half speed so the whole top speed spec isnt that important to me.

6. string 111

string 111 LawnSite Member

My Hustler is good for getting away from bees.

7. AOD

AOD LawnSite Senior Member

I've mowed at top speed on a Deere 777 in open areas and it still cut good. I mow close to top speed on my Z master, I guess georgiagrass would have canned me by now.

8. ashgrove landscaping

ashgrove landscaping LawnSite Gold Member

Yep. I mow at top speed in wide open areas all the time with my ferris 3100 and it leaves a good cut. Of course I slow down just a little if it gets super heavy but even then it s just because habit. If the machine can do it, why wouldn t you. That s what they re built for.

9. brodo374

brodo374 LawnSite Member

It is usually faster to mow in top speed and go over it again if it needs it rathar than mowing slowly throughout yard

10. rcslawncare

rcslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

I mow around 3/4 speed most of the time unless it is in small spaces. I think it depends on the conditions most of the time, a bi-weekly will require you to go slower than a weekly account. Most mowers are fast on transport, but cannot leave a clean cut at that speed.