Top notch idea for starting up a business, opinions please.

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Mr. Magpie, Sep 4, 2005.

1. Mr. Magpie

Mr. Magpie LawnSite Senior Member

Equipment issues aside, I want to deal with the truck issue.

Those small UHAUL toyota trucks with a box on the back..... pack all your accounts into preferrably one, maybe two days a week, rent that thing out at $20 a day..... BINGO. You don't need to purchase, insure or maintain a vehicle, yet you are able to have a secure (closed box), reliable, efficient vehicle *with a ramp*, A/C, room for a crew (I guess) and big mower. Guys, that is a measley $80-$160 a month, and it completely covers the truck issue.

This could be the homerun idea for some start-up ops for young guys or guys in a pinch with bills and such. Heck, you could EVEN STORE YOUR EQUIPMENT AT THE FACILITY, ride your damn bicycle to the store and load your equipment into the truck in the morning.

All you have to have is an agreement with the owner to have that truck secured for that day or two a week. And, since you are only working one day a week, you could try and hook up with another lawn guy in the area, work on one of his off days, and simply rent his equipment from him fro that day, or two. BINGO again.

Let me know what you think, if there are any loopholes I have missed, ect.

2. Brianslawn

Brianslawn LawnSite Silver Member

are you going to call your biz uhaul mowing. i financed and insured my first truck for that price and had it payed off in 10 months. why dont you just concolidate with another lco and cut costs across the board? even eliminate most of yours. :confused:

3. willretire@40

willretire@40 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from VA

4. richmadmax

richmadmax LawnSite Member

How is it going to look pulling up in a uhaul? Not that great. I would hire the kid down the block before somebody pulling up in a uhaul. Sorry.

5. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

i agree

bad idea

6. yardmanlee

yardmanlee LawnSite Senior Member

Agrees w/ richmadmax !!!!!!!!

7. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Some say image doesn't matter. But in this case, i'd say it does. If I was a customer I just don't think I would feel comfortable with a lawn service pulling up in a uhaul. To me it would send up a redflag as someone that may be "fly by night"
    Just my 2 cents.

8. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

yeah lol, ain't nothing in the world rents for $20/day flat heheh

and a +++ to the person said it looks fly-by-night.

9. Mr. Magpie

Whoa, that hurt!

First of all, remember, one is only going to do this for between 2-8 months or so, you know, starting up......

Man, it's funny, my bro and I made great profits and great customer service with our crashed up truck and small mowers for years with no problems.... sometimes I forget the whole image thing. It doesn't matter to us at all. But, yeah, that is REALLY ghetto. If you show up for the estimate in another vehicle, and you yourself look the part, clients tend to not care when they see a subpar truck pull up the next week for the job, but a uhaul may be over the top......

I was wondering about a per mile charge. I think there isn't one until a certain amount of miles, right? I'll check their site.

Brian: What kind of truck was it? You usually need full coverage when financing, did you have that?

10. Mr. Magpie

Also, Brian, did you give any money up front for the finance?

And, I believe it is a $1 per mile charge too... that throws a wrench in this whole thing.