Top possible earnings for one man shows.

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by A1Lawns, Jan 7, 2008.

1. A1Lawns

A1Lawns LawnSite Member

For all you lawn application "experts" out there, I'd like to know, (no matter what area you're in), how much do you make, or believe you can make, as a 'one man show'.
    I find it very possible for one person, running it's own applicators business, to rather easily NET about $112,000 per year,seasonal. (Here is March/April thru Oct/Nov, having 400 accounts-20 applications daily, 20 days per month)
    Actually, if you bust ass I bet one can make even more.

:walking:

2. humble1

humble1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from MA

is apps all you do? do you do maint? do you do add on services? are pushing a spreader or using a perma green, you could do more apps, keep a tight route

3. grassguy_

grassguy_ LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

assuming you're using a PG or Z-spray that's probably obtainable. $80,000 to $100,000 is probably a bit more realistic in my area, as i know your area there pricing is a bit higher overall.

4. Tscape

Tscape LawnSite Bronze Member

Eleventy billion is what I make.

5. ted putnam

ted putnam LawnSite Platinum Member

I make closer to forty gazillion + or - a few bucks. No Chit. If you NET 112K on your own You aren't a Grass Guy you are a GRASS GOD worthy of everyone's admiration. May the Force be with you young Jedi.

6. Rayholio

Rayholio LawnSite Bronze Member

I think a good applicator could do 20 a day.... if they were small, and tight, but an owner/operator probably couldn't... seeing customers would be a full time job with 400

I've spoken with some franchises.. and they claim that it's not possible to do more than about 300 with one dedicated, and enabled crew..

7. grassguy_

grassguy_ LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

Rayholio, I agree, 400 would be balls to the wall for the most part all season, and a one man operation almost unrealistic. But 300-350 is capable, whether you can increase your account values to where you are getting 112k NET might be a stretch depending on your pricing structure and the programs you offer.

8. humble1

humble1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from MA

I can mow 20 lawns a day trim and blowoff all paved surfaces. I am certainly there longer mowing than when i push a spreader. I try to minimise the customer contact by keeping track of when customers who like to talk are not usually around, i have one woman who talks and talks but i figured out that she leaves her house to p/u the kids from school around 245 and drop this one to karate that one to dance. Guess what i make it a point to be at her lawn after 245pm.

9. LIBERTYLANDSCAPING

LIBERTYLANDSCAPING LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

WOW! Thats a lot of lawns for 1 guy in a day!:clapping: How big are they & how tight is the route???

10. Rayholio

Rayholio LawnSite Bronze Member

even with just a 100 customers + new calls, I have to see at least 1 or 2 customers a day, for quality control or new sales.. so, it may is possible to do it.. but when you have 400 customers, the equasion changes