Top soil question

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by adam5557, Mar 30, 2005.

1. adam5557

adam5557 LawnSite Member

Hey guys i need a amout of how many yards of top soil i will need for this job.It is 40 by 45 ft and he wants it to be 1 inch deep?thanks

2. Mo Green

Mo Green LawnSite Bronze Member

3. Neal Wolbert

Neal Wolbert LawnSite Senior Member

7.5 yds. (1 cu yd covers approx. 80 sq ft 3 " deep or 240 sq ft 1 " deep.) 40 X 45 = 1800 sq ft div. by 240 = 7.5 cu yds. Does that add up for you? Neal

4. Mo Green

5. Neal Wolbert

Neal Wolbert LawnSite Senior Member

1 cu yd cover 80 sq ft 3" deep. He wanted 1" or 3 X 80 sq ft = 240. This is an old equation I've used from memory and could be totally wrong. I'll defer to smarter people than me anytime. Neal

6. spoolinaround

spoolinaround LawnSite Senior Member

240 is a bit off as far as square feet at 1"

you can actually go 324 sq ft per yard at 1" and that gets you a base line of 5.5555555555555556 yards to do 1800 sq ft

BUT unless it is lazer graded it wont be a inch exactly so figure +/- 1 yard for depth variations so figure 7 tons total ( half-load around here) and that should get you in the ballpark

7. Mo Green

Sorry, I wasn't trying to say you were wrong. I was just trying to understand how you run youur figures. I'm always interested in different ways to do things.

8. Northwest

Northwest LawnSite Member

Why put down one inch of topsoil? That is not going to do anything. Maybe if it was a soil ammendment (sewer sludge, chicken manure) then it would be helpful but why bother with one inch of topsoil?

9. spoolinaround

spoolinaround LawnSite Senior Member

maybe the yard is a bare patch of clay and he wants to grow grass on there, he didnt state a reason so who knows