1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Top Soil????

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by JLong, Feb 2, 2007.

1. JLong

JLong LawnSite Member

Hi, this is my first post on this great site. Hopefully many more will follow.... anyway my first question on here is what does everyone consider topsoil??? the reason I ask is that in my area it seems like there are many different options. some consider sandy loam topsoil, others consider black dirt topsoil, and a couple think that "composted horse/cow manure is topsoil. just wondering what everyone here considers topsoil, and what works best. Thanks....sorry if this is too long or in the wrong section
  2. Travel'n Trees

Travel'n Trees LawnSite Senior Member

Depends, I usally do Plv. Top Soil or enriched top soil. Saves on labor less loss and better growth. We are in South Kansas City where are you located?
  3. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

It should actually be a mix of both, black dirt being considered a composted product and loam. Topsoil should be mostly comprised of natural decomposing organic matter. :)
  4. Mike33

Mike33 LawnSite Bronze Member

All based on location. We have mainly sandy like loam. Actually it instead of sand like most people thinks it is actually silt. Its like working butter no rocks easy to work. It grows nice lawns , down side you have to work it complete or other wise it will bake in the sun. Also it should be applied over a clay base so moisture can be retained. It is the pretty black stuff. Also it cant be installed directly over shale or slate with out clay being first insalled. It would actually in a few years disappear.
    Then we have the field dirt, it will mostly have some rocks and brown in color. It will grow nice lawns and is usually cheaper to buy. The down side is people like to see black dirt and no rocks when installing there yard. I stick with about 2 soil sources a year and have both of them tested so you will know what it will take lime and fertlizer to work.
    If you could mix some manure with the dirt you are using would be great. But think about how unpractile that would be having 10 tandem loads of dirt 2 loads of cow s--t dumped in your customers yard.
  5. JLong

JLong LawnSite Member

thanks guys....Travel'n trees I'm in the Lawrence area
  6. Travel'n Trees

Travel'n Trees LawnSite Senior Member

Enriched is the top soil enhanced with compost and sand. If you need some bigger quanities in K.C. call us. I'd hook you up.