1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Top speed on mower?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by cookedonphonics, Aug 23, 2006.

1. cookedonphonics

cookedonphonics LawnSite Member

I'm looking to cut down some time on a huge property I mow.
    No trimming, just mowing, but there are some decent sized hills involved which seem to slow me down a bit.
    I've been doing it in 3 hours with my Encore Z48 w/ kaw 19hp.
    However, I also have an Exmark metro (ECS) 48" w/ kaw 15hp with a sulky that really seems to blaze when I'm in 5th gear on other properties not nearly as big as this one.
    Everytime my butt is on the Encore on this property, I can't help but wonder if I was wide open in 5th gear on the Exmark, would I save a half hour or more?...

Anyway, I don't have a manual for either so i'm not sure of the top speed for either machine and was curious if anybody had that kind of info at their disposal. I'd also be curious to hear your thoughts in general on this... which would you use?

I'm riding now, mostly for comfort, but I'm pretty busy too and picking up a half hour would be beneficial to me....

2. subs1000w

subs1000w LawnSite Member

i doubt the exmark would be any faster they have a max speed of 6.2mph according to there website and i couldnt find any speeds listed for the encore but i would guess its atleast that fast if not faster

i would check your hydro belt tension maybe it starts to slip on the hills and slows you down
  3. khouse

khouse LawnSite Bronze Member

make sure your engine is running at the correct high idle. then adjust the limits on the levers so that the hydros are in the full position as to maximize all availlable speed. check tire pressures too.