1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Top Ten Customer DON'T List

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Jerrys Lawn Service, Aug 17, 2000.

1. cuttin

cuttin LawnSite Member
    from nj

Was doing a lawn this week and the customer's sprinklers actually came on while mowing.I politely informed her of the situation(and the soaking of some equiptment) and she turned them off.Also have a customer that is fond of sitting on his front steps with his family,including an infant grandchild,while I mow.Still have to ask them to move it inside EVERY TIME I MOW! They won't be there when I show up, but as soon as the kawi's purrin, there they are.
  2. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

OK, these blinking eyes driving me crazy. The more you work with the public. The more you wonder how most of them made it past 40. Seems they get the stupid disease somewhere along the way.
  3. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

(LOL at Charles)

Thats a problem, in the past we'd have a war every 20 years or so to thin the herd, now its just heavy traffic and bungee jumping to add chlorine to the gene pool.
  4. cos

cos LawnSite Addict

i had that problem once, dumb **tch forgot to turn off the sprinkler system after i told her i was comin. Of course, where was i when they turned on?..... Right in the middle. I got it from every sprinkler.
  5. Toroguy

Toroguy LawnSite Bronze Member

How about a tree pruned so only Doug Flutie can limbo under it?
  6. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

I would have been very happy if any of my customers had turned their sprinklers on today while I was mowing! 90 degrees and 60% humidity, we had a cold front go through tonight and cooled things a little. :)
  7. lawnMaster5000

lawnMaster5000 LawnSite Senior Member

90 degrees 60% thats nothing move to st. louis.

well the one thing that happens more than i can believe is CAR WASHING. In the middle of the summer or even fall, people will come outside and wash thier car after seeing you mowing the lawn. Do they think that the dust wont land on thier car? What are these people thinking?

then they try and blame us for getting the car all dirty, "I JUST WASHED IT"
  8. TGCummings

TGCummings LawnSite Senior Member

That happens to me all the time. I guess people set up their day around washing the car at a specific time, and no gardener is gonna screw up their schedule! ;)

Still, I envy your location. If I could live anywhere in the world, besides where I am now, I would live in St. Louis.

Go Rams. ;)

Two Toros, that is the single funniest thing I've read yet. "Musta been Thursday then..." LOL!

9. jaclawn

jaclawn LawnSite Senior Member

If your Lawn is scheduled to be cut Friday afternoon,
    5 - Schedule roofers or aluminum siding.

Oftentimes this cannot be helped. We sit here and complain about our customers changing our schedules, and then expect other types of contractrors to do the same. I am sure that a roofer or remodler would fall on the floor laughing if I told them not to come to my house today to work because I was having my grass cut.
  10. Jerrys Lawn Service

Jerrys Lawn Service LawnSite Member

Point well taken.

How about we revise?

Don't schedule siding or roofing to have us waste a trip and see what looks like Hurricane aftermath, followed by that famous line, "Oh, I guess I should have called you."

All and all most of our customers are pretty good people who do keep us informed, pay us and don't give us a hard time. You're gonna have to deal with some idiots whether you're cutting lawns or sitting at a computer in some corporate job. I'd rather be sitting on my Scag Turf Tiger taking in the rays anyday.

[Edited by Jerrys Lawn Service on 08-20-2000 at 06:20 PM]