Top this one!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by GreenMonster, Apr 12, 2004.

1. GreenMonster

GreenMonster LawnSite Silver Member
    from NH

This could be the boner of the year!

I've been doing a clean-up and landscape job than ran a couple days. Driveway was such a nightmare, I disconnected my trailer and left it on site overnight. I had to turn the trailer around with chain and my skid steer.

So today, I move the skid steer to hook up the trailer and bring it home. I'm thinking, "man, I really need to take this door off now that spring is here".

No sense is shutting the door, only moving the skid steer a couple feet. la de da, hey, there's a little dirt in the bucket, might as well dump it out.... KRUNCH!!!

Guess I should have taken the door off yesterday. Oh well. At least the door was free. Unfortunately it was pretty new too.

I certainly hope that's my biggest boner this year!

2. Eric 1

Eric 1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I did one sat. we have a long driveway and i leave the trailer at the end of it (about 1/10 of a mile), so i hook up and go Up HILL to the house grab my stuff and walking back see that i forgot to latch the tongue!I cant believe it did not come off, and my new Dixie was on there two. That could have been bad.

Man its to early in the year for that kinda stuff

3. AL Inc

AL Inc LawnSite Bronze Member

Unfortunately, I've done the same thing. I just bought a Cat 246 with cab, and hopefully I won't crunch this one. An expensive lesson, I'm glad your door was free!

4. bugspit

bugspit LawnSite Senior Member

Just backed up to my unloaded trailer. Set the tounge on the ball and got a phone call.
    Once again in a hurry, I go and set the ramps up and begin to drive my mower up on the trailer.
    Gravity takes over and since I didn't latch the tounge on the ball, BOING, up goes the tounge.
    Now, If I thought about it I would have stopped right there but nooo, I backed off the trailer rolling it fwd. and down came the tounge, scratching the paint off the back of the tailgate.

5. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

I did that last year with one of my stander. I though the ball locked it self but it didn't. My neighors hasn't gotten around to fixing it yet.

6. Norm Al

Norm Al LawnSite Bronze Member

i hope i have more than 1 BONER this year!:)

7. grasssin

grasssin LawnSite Senior Member

Did the same thing as Bugspit, unlatched NEW trailer and started doing something else, friend was test driving NEW exmark and told him to put it on the trailer.....Nothing seriously harmed, definitely take the time to check everything out now

8. shorty7616

shorty7616 LawnSite Member

Did the EXACT same thing a few years ago!

The other day...I forgot to lock the chain around the mower.....Every seen a mower fly off a trailer and down a hill? Noone hurt it was 20 feet from my house, but I bent my velke bracket.

Live and learn

9. Grass-Eater

Grass-Eater LawnSite Member

well i dont want to sound like a broken record but dito for me as well but you would think of all the safty features that they have that an open cab door would lock out the bucket as well !!!

10. Woody82986

Woody82986 LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

I guess I will join the club. I had just bought my F-150 last year and the first thing I did was make a huge gash down my tailgate.