1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

top this tip

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Jul 1, 2003.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

did some lawn renovation for some nice people last fall. they called back for trimming. we go out yesterday, explain that we charge hourly for this service, she says no problem. we spend 4 hrs trimming, and picking up clippings. i hand her a bill for $300. she looks at me and says, "bobby dear, you are way too cheap! the last guy charged me $600 for the same job. " she hands me $450, then an extra $20 bill for lunch she says. thats a $170 tip! i almost pooped in my pants. first off i couldnt believe the other man charged her 6 bills, then i was just shocked at her generousity. unreal. very nice people. anyone else ever get big tips?
  2. scott's turf

scott's turf LawnSite Senior Member
    from NH

Those customers are great to work for.
  3. cos

cos LawnSite Addict

Where was this at? The address please....

4. Rhett

Rhett LawnSite Bronze Member

Wow nothing in that league. Have customers that raise their own rates. Gotta love them. Wonder how your hourly rates compare to the other guy
  5. NCSULandscaper

NCSULandscaper Banned

I did get a $70 tip the other day because the new landscape for this couple's house turned out better than anyone expected so when i looked at the check later that night it was for $70 more than what i billed them.
  6. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

That is one heck of a tip Bobby! I would work hard to keep that customer.

7. jlewis

jlewis LawnSite Member

I think somebody stole Bobby's user id. I am not used to this type of post from him - and I am still considered a newby here!

My sis tipped me 100 last year. ("Fired" me this year but hey..)

Good job Bobby. Under promise and over deliver!

8. cos

cos LawnSite Addict

A customer hadn't paid for the longest time. After a registered letter, he sent an exrtra $35 for a symbolic gesture with an apology.
  9. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

So your original bill was $300.

For how many men? You and 2 others?

Then thats = $25/hr. Certainly not enough for shrub work.

You and one helper = $37.50. Still not all that much for shrub work.

It is nice to get rewarded for a good job by a customer.
  10. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

Don't know if this beats $170, but I got 2 tickets to see a Wings game at Joe Louis Arena..................in a suite!