Topdress Timing

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by DA Quality Lawn & YS, May 4, 2014.

1. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

Here is a question that I would like to pose.

For spring compost applications, what kind of timing rules of thumb do you use? Certain soil temp? Certain stage of growth in the turf? Etc?
    I would assume that you would want your soil temp to warm up some so that you are not insulating cold ground from the sun??

Or does this really matter? When do y'all start compost topdressing in the spring?

2. MikeT

MikeT LawnSite Member

We rarely topdress without core aeration. Accordingly, our spring aeration and topdressing is done before the pre-m is applied. If we're also seeding the same day we'll apply Tupersan, or Dimension if not seeding, plus starter fertilizer. Although topdressing is available throughout the summer without aeration, I'd rather do it in conjunction with aeration in late summer/fall. We use a quality compost in the Ecolawn 100.

3. PicturePerfectLawns

PicturePerfectLawns LawnSite Gold Member

Easy and simple rule for me, when the grass starts actively growing in the Spring. This year I started with a .25" about a week after it started actively growing. Now down here it's heavily into the active growth I would feel safe using .35" - .40".

4. bethj

bethj LawnSite Member

Doing it by yourself is not worth the hassle. Hire a great company in Tampa -Green Solutions Lawn Care (http://www.greensolutionslpc.com/) They even managed pest control so it is well worth the time and money!

5. HayBay

HayBay LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

When the weight of the topdresser does not damage the lawn (spring).

6. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

Running them now....if only my material was not so wet...bridges bad.