Topdress with sawdust

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by First Call, Mar 24, 2002.

1. First Call

First Call LawnSite Member

I currently aerate and overseed with a spreader. The other day a local green thumb told me that I could topdress with sawdust. I can get spruce sawdust for free, but is it ok? I have used sand and soil but ,sawdust? :confused:

2. stslawncare

stslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member
    from DE

saw dust does decompose very well, and is an active ingredient in topsoil (usually) i know my company gets it in large quanities from mills etc, main thing is be absolutly sure it has absolutly no chemicals in it. not to sure of the effictiviness of it as a topdressing but whatever floats ur boat

3. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I may be wrong, but I believe it should be well composted before its put on a lawn. Maybe someone can verify that for me.

4. stslawncare

stslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member
    from DE

basically its the same as putting lettuce on ur lawn, it decomposes and is great, but wont be any good till it decomposes, i personally would just stick with the soil.

5. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

hoss is correct, green sawdust will take nitrogen away from the grass to decompose while composted sawdust will provide nitrogen. The best potting soil for starting seeds comes from the rotted wood in holes of old apple trees.

Gene

6. 1grnlwn

1grnlwn LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree fresh sawdust will take away nitrogen. Needs to be composted.
    Mark