1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Topdressing after aeration

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Five Diamond Lawns, Sep 21, 2003.

1. Five Diamond Lawns

Five Diamond Lawns LawnSite Member

It's fall in the Northwest and everyone want's to do damage control on their lawns.
    I do a ton of aerations throughout the year but in the fall I get allot of topdressing requests.

Top-dress with sand
    Top-dress with soil
    Top-dress with compost
    New product very expensive AXIS (or something like that) a small plastic ball thats hallow like a tine woffal ball. Suppose to go in aeration holes keep them open while still allowing roots to grow through.

My main question is best way to spread in small yards with limited access. I've try ed a pete moss spreader with sand. Destroyed the spreader.
  2. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

What's the sand for?
  3. Greenscape4u.com

Greenscape4u.com LawnSite Member

wheel barrow and shovel , rake in good after your done , mother nature does the rest.
  4. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

Here are a couple of ways I found others doing topdressing with push devices.

5. work_it

work_it LawnSite Senior Member

^Is that Kenny Rodgers pulling that cart? lol
  6. TotalCareSolutions

TotalCareSolutions LawnSite Senior Member

I 'second' that sand question. I understand sand to be used to spread tiny seed or help level turf, but I did not think it had any nutrient value for the soil...

Compost and all that other crap (no pun intended) adds certain levels of nutrients and Humus (micro-organisms) to the soil, but whats with sand on a perfectly level spot like I see above?

Or is there something in the sand?
  7. Likestomow

Likestomow LawnSite Senior Member

Hey Gopher - is that guy in your second picture a homeowner or you helper? If he is your helper, you run a classy business!
  8. Five Diamond Lawns

Five Diamond Lawns LawnSite Member

Sand is used in the Northwest on golf course greens mostly. Enhances dranage and helps clay soil. Clients that golf to much request it mostly, their the ones that cut their lawn to short also.
  9. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

Sand will not help clay soil. To improve clay soil, you want to get as much organic material into it as possible. Sand and clay are definitely not a good mix.
  10. Duder

Duder LawnSite Member

Sorry, but I beg to differ - sand (when having the proper and uniform particle size), contributes to aeration porosity, although, marginally.

That said, topdressing with sand should not be used without caution.

When a small or insufficient amount of sand is added, porosity decreases because the soil particals "float" in the soil without adding any additional large pore spaces.

Some other "problems" with sand:

- excessive nutrient leaching - particularly nitrogen and potassium

- Lower microbial activityfor thatch and organic decomposition.

And to answer "why use sand" others have asked - sand is technically a soil component. It is used in rootzone mixes to provide mechanical strength for soils receiving heavy compaction stress (i.e. football fields, golf greens... etc)