Topdressing material

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by MORTS4, Feb 9, 2009.

1. MORTS4

MORTS4 LawnSite Member

Homeowner wants me to topdress their yard after overseeding. I usually use sand to topdress, but what type material do you use to cover seed? It is a small yard, too small for power spreader, what methods do you suggest I use for spreading topdressing?

2. treegal1

treegal1 LawnSite Gold Member

good compost or worm casts.....

3. TScapes

TScapes LawnSite Senior Member

I agree with treegal. Use compost and take a few wheelbarrows and dump evenly apart from one another throughout the yard. Then use a rake to spread it out evenly. You generally want about 1/4" coverage or so. It works great!! You can also do a search on YouTube to see a variation of exactly the process I am referring to.

4. MORTS4

MORTS4 LawnSite Member

so I should thatch, aerate, cut the grass as short as possible, overseed and then cover with a good compost? Would steer manure work for that? Thank you for you help guys.

5. treegal1

treegal1 LawnSite Gold Member

6. MORTS4

MORTS4 LawnSite Member

Thank you very much for the help.

7. MORTS4

MORTS4 LawnSite Member

Great videos too!. Thank you

8. MORTS4

MORTS4 LawnSite Member

Instead can I use a 50%compost and 50% mix from the local nursery?

9. TScapes

TScapes LawnSite Senior Member

Yes, a mix of compost will work too. Like the video shows, aerate first, then seed and follow by compost. If you do use straw to cover, make sure that you go extremely light. You don't want too much on. It is basically there to help keep moisture in and keep the soil (compost) in place.

10. MORTS4

MORTS4 LawnSite Member

Will this work as well if this is done on existing lawn for renovation?