Topdressing - may have found a nice vendor for material

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by DA Quality Lawn & YS, Jan 11, 2014.

1. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

Guys/Gals,

Went to the MN Green Expo yesterday, and came across Hsu Growing Supply, out of Wausau, WI. They had some of their certified leaf compost on display, and I was impressed by its consistency and quality. I am looking to get into topdressing lawns next season, and believe these folks may have my material supply answer. Friendly people.

Here is the web addy
    http://www.hsucompost.com/compost/

Anyone use any of their material? They said they have been in biz for 20 years, originally for commercial ginseng production but expanded into mulches and soils.
    Thoughts?

I am going to get an analysis of the compost sent to me from Hsu and after I do, I will post for thoughts. Also, they have a compost/peat mix that may have potential for topdressing as well. I believe it is two parts compost to one part peat. Each of these composts/mixes come in bags, 50 cu ft supersacks (most interest to me), and bulk.

2. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

What kind of analysis?? Nutrients? pH? In either case, I doubt the product would offer much. Also seems the product needs to be "incorporated into the soil profile". 1/4 inch of product on top?? More if you till it in??

Okay, I can see it under certain circumstances. Like rototilling a garden so you can grow tomatoes or something.

If you're talkin' lawns ...what kind of equipment would you use? How much of a mess? Total renovation? Or would you spread the stuff on top & cross your fingers?

Keep in mind I'm playing devil's advocate here. :)

Hey -- at least I replied to your post. lol Larry

Last edited: Jan 11, 2014
  3. CHARLES CUE

CHARLES CUE LawnSite Silver Member

Sounds like a good product are there any dealers in your area ?

A 50 yard bag sounds like a 2000 lbs tote how would you handle these you might as well buy bulk. Good luck with your find

Charles Cue

4. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

Ya, spoke to a dealer as well during the show.
    I mainly was pleased to find a good, quality made, 98% weed free product.
    Doing topdressing with county compost just did not seem like the way to go, introduce too many weeds and their compost, although screened, does have some garbage and rocks in it.

5. Exact Rototilling

Exact Rototilling LawnSite Fanatic

To really work in compost top dressing...one must plug the turf heavily. This would requires 4-6+ passes with a standard aerator.

There are other aerators in development that can pull a ton of plugs in one pass that will flat out smoke the ones on the market today. ;)

I really want to offer top dressing as a nichie service but the financial feasibility needs to be there before I jump for it. Most in my area are still love sick crazy for habitual power racking and dethatchings every Spring. Because that's what the customer wants.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. foreplease

foreplease LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm glad you found something DA as I know you've had trouble finding what will work for you. I would avoid the mix with peat for lawn topdressing. The question above about how you will move it is a good one. It might be a good idea to get a small bag, put some in several pots, water and keep them in a sunny window for a couple weeks and see what comes up, if anything.

Exact: those are hard things to overcome. Around here people are "still lovesick crazy for habitual" 'black dirt.'

7. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

Just kidding bud. Also a 2% weed product would not concern me. Main objective would be to establish a lawn. Might take 2 years, but so what. At least they will have a lawn. bump