Topdressing of Bermuda Lawn With River Sand

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by chaser2587, Jun 6, 2010.

1. chaser2587

chaser2587 LawnSite Member

HEY!!! Shouldn't you be out mowing lawns?

2. agm

agm LawnSite Member
    from NM

So I'm a little confused. What is the sand for and what does it do? I, personally, have never heard of this.

3. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

I should be but I had to do some errands today. I did get my cat 26 and 27 study material at UGA today as well.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. chaser2587

ah... so you are lucky that u got to go to sacred ground today. I started mowing my lawn after I made that smart elec comment to you and I got the right side of the driveway done and all of a sudden a hurricane came through! I thought we were going to lose the crape myrtles. I'm about to go check the rain gauge. Have you gotten any rain today?

5. chaser2587

The main reason is to level/smooth out the lawn. I use a TruCut P20 reel mower and I cut the lawn at 1/2". So with the lawn being cut so low any bumps or dips in the lawn causes the mower to hit the dirt therefore scalping the lawn. Putting river sand down over a bermuda lawn will significantly reduce the bumps in a lawn.

6. cgaengineer

We have not have any significant rainfall in over 2 weeks.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. cgaengineer

Send me your address again Chase, I have a book I'm going to send you.
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. chaser2587

I sent it to you...You are too kind!!!

I just checked and we got another 3/4". Plus the 3/4" we got earlier today... so that puts it up to 1.5" for the day :clapping: Although I'm not sure this last reading is accurate, it basically rained sideways the whole time..lol. Sorry to hear you haven't got any rain in 2 weeks. I feel your pain though, the heat stress on my yard is starting to look really bad.

9. onebreezer

onebreezer LawnSite Member

Tht topdressing looks very thick. It covers the turf almost completely. How is the turf coming thru? Has any of it died out?

10. chaser2587

NO... none of it has died out. I had bare spots in my lawn to start with and those spots have taken awhile to fill in. Some of those spots haven't filled in all the way yet, but the bare spots are making progress since the heat wave has slacked off. Overall the turf came through great! You could almost say the process of the grass coming back through was sped up since we had 2 downpours right after we got it down. Some of the sand got washed away, especially on the slopes, but it was greened up 75% by the time a week had passed.