Topdressing-Who offers it?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by LIBERTYLANDSCAPING, Aug 22, 2009.

1. LIBERTYLANDSCAPING

LIBERTYLANDSCAPING LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

Anyone offer topdressing as part of their services? We have many lawns around here that are on soils with VERY low organic matter. I've seen the ads for walk behind topdressers, but have not seen one in use. Most of our lawns are 20k sq. ft. & up range, so topdressing by hand is out of the question:dizzy:

If you offer it, how do you do it? Do you have a dump truck follow you around? What do you use to topdress with?

2. nnj18

nnj18 LawnSite Silver Member

I'm very interested as well.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. phasthound

phasthound LawnSite Platinum Member

We offer a 3 part premium service in Sept.; core aerate, slit seed and compost top dress, great results. We use the Earth & Turf 100SP and love it.
    http://www.earthandturf.com/100sp.htm

4. LIBERTYLANDSCAPING

from Indiana

That's the machine I was thinking of. How do you transport the topdressing medium around? Do you get it bulk & use a dump truck? How much per k do you spread? What do you use-compost? Is it ground or screened, or can it come out in large chunks all over the lawn?

5. Cloud9Landscapes

Cloud9Landscapes LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ca

I offer it and it's one of my specialties. I also overseed when I topdress.

BTW: Most lawns in my area are a MAXIMUM of 1,100 square feet. It would not be financially smart to buy a powered topdresser.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2009
  6. dKoester

dKoester LawnSite Gold Member

I use Nutrigreen.

7. LIBERTYLANDSCAPING

from Indiana

1/2" x 20k sq. ft. = ~30 yds. = 3 tri axle dump trucks. Yikes! Nevermind that!

8. phasthound

You'll be happy with the 100SP, it's heavy duty. I built up the hopper with plywood to increase the capacity. It holds the weight fine, just be careful on hills.

I use bulk leaf compost. Finished compost crumbles easily and is spread uniformly by the brushes, no clumping even with moist material. The 100SP easily allows you to adjust the depth. I apply it at 1/4" and it needs no raking. Because this is a drop spreader you have complete control where the compost goes so there is very little clean up.

Well, except for the first time I used mine. I filled it up at the curb and walked it 100 ft on the side walk before I turned around to see that I had forgotten to disengage the conveyor belt. There was a nice topdressing of compost on the sidewalk. :hammerhead:

9. phasthound

1/4" is all you need.

Another option we use in Nutrients PLUS Auxinite 5-4-0 applied with a normal spreader at 20-30lbs/k. It's a biosolid with auxins (plant growth hormones).
    Still get great results with a lot less labor.

10. Marcos

Marcos LawnSite Gold Member

Topdressing with compost is great as a means to add organic content, especially while during core aeration...
    But unless you're planning to discontinue or greatly curb the amount of pesticides applied, you'll not realize much of the micobial advantages compost will deliver to the soil in the long run! :waving: