Topdressing with compost prior to aeration?

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by David W, Aug 13, 2008.

1. David W

David W LawnSite Senior Member

Any of you ever put down compost a few weeks prior to aeration and over-seeding?

I wondered if there would be any benefit to doing this a 2-3 weeks before aerating, slice seeding and then topdressing again. Mainly for yards that have poor soil (i.e. clay or soil with little OM) and need some amending.

Just curious.

2. NattyLawn

NattyLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Does that make sense? Pull the cores, then fill the holes with compost or soil amendments.

Are you going to aerate, then slice seed?

3. treegal1

treegal1 LawnSite Gold Member

here its air/ compost. and thats really it ...............sorry our turf is your weed...............

4. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

Can't have too much compost.

Letting a layer of compost work on the soil for a few weeks may make plugging easier, especially on a low OM clay.
    Then putting more into the holes afterwards will get the action deeper in the soil.

5. jeffinsgf

jeffinsgf LawnSite Senior Member

Depending on the size of the lawn, topdressing twice in one season could take some deep pockets. That's a good thing if it is a customer who wants the best looking yard on the block and doesn't care what it costs. What you're proposing would work, and my intuition tells me it would be more effective than one application that would be equal in quantity to the two.

6. treegal1

treegal1 LawnSite Gold Member

feed more compost!!!!

7. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Compost does a soil good! :clapping:

8. David W

David W LawnSite Senior Member

Great. Thanks for all the feedback.

I have about 3 sites like this that were renovated last fall and seeded but never did come up strong. And yes I failed to add any OM to them last fall. I did bring in good quality sifted topsoil but after the roots got past the new topsoil and hit the poor subsoil the fescue faded pretty quickly in early summer.

I'll give this a try and see what how it works. I'll also try to post some pics of these yards before and after.

9. ICT Bill

ICT Bill LawnSite Platinum Member

If you can spray compost tea while the cores are still open and after you have overseeded it great. It is rare that we are able to get compost tea literally down into the soil. It will coat the seed as well and make a healthy stand of turf.

What you should try on one yard is pre germinated seed in compost tea. Stick the seed in a bucket with compost tea and an air bubbler for 12 hours, then take it out and let it dry, then go spread it. Throw the leftover tea on your garden

BANG instant lawn, you will be amazed, it works REALLY well especially for KBG that can take a month to germinate, do 2 or 3 rounds of soak and dry, apply to lawn and water BANG instant KBG lawn. Fescues and ryes you can usually only do it once because they germinate so quickly

The issue with KBG taking so long to germinate is that it usually gets washed away by a couple big thunderstorms or all ends up in one corner of the yard

10. NattyLawn

NattyLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

That is why you slice seed.