Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Lawn-Scapes, Aug 11, 2001.

1. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

I wood like to maybe start offering this to my customers. I would like to get some feedback from anyone that does first. I searched but did not find a whole lot...

I'm basically looking for tips and techniques (or is it technics?) for applying it. What's the going $$ rate... is it per square foot or materials plus labor charges?

It says in a book I have, to apply 1 cubic yard per 1000 square feet. Now most of my lawns are 1 acre or better, and it would take a boatload of this stuff... It's $22.50 a yard at a local supplier. It seems this would cost a small fortune to have done. Maybe it's more of a smaller property type service...

2. Mr. TSG I was thinking of addint this to my services to

But not at the rate of 1 cubic yrd. to a 1000

And I have a job lined up already. I am barrrowing one from a golf course. It is a 5 acre job. the full 5 acres

3. Lawn-Scapes

And this helps me... how?
  4. I was wanting the SAME feedback

This might help:
    You can apply a topdressing coat at around 6 cubic feet per a 1000 after aerafying and get vary good resaults.

5. smburgess

smburgess LawnSite Senior Member

I don't know what book you are using, but at a rate of 1 cubic yard per thousand square feet, wouldn't you have about 4" of top dressing? Wouldn't that pretty much KILL all turf?

It's late but 1k sq feet would have 12000 sq in.

1 cubic foot contains 1728 cubic inches.

1 cubic yard contains 27 cubic feet.

1728 x 27 = 46656 sq inches.

46656 divided by 12000 = 3.8 inches.
  6. Dochere

Dochere LawnSite Member

You should be able to do roughly 5000 sqft per yard of material and at 43000 sqft should run aprox $300 on up for topdressing alone. I would charge 7.50 - 10.50 per 1000 sqft, having the price decline as the property size increases.
  7. Lawn-Scapes

It seemed a bit excessive to me too. Maybe it's a misprint? Better Lawns - Step by Step is the book.

Thanks for the mathmatical breakdown..

Thanks for the info.
  8. Lawn-Scapes

If we use 1 yard per 5000...1 acre would need around 8.5 yards

That's a lot of shoveling and raking in...

Any ideas on how to spread it in a timely manner?
  9. stslawncare

stslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member
    from DE

hi, for large areas its best to use a tractor, for topdressing just need a smaller 20 hp tractor with a loader. brakes time down immensly, and if u really want to be smart, get a 3pt rake too. now as for amount to put down and stuff like that, on my webpage under topsoil/compost i have that information, also some equations that will help u to determine how much u need in all.
  10. fivestarlawnken

fivestarlawnken LawnSite Senior Member

having done this many times usually you want about one inch of material usually topsoil,topdresser,small tractor to pull with,bobcat or small loader to load with and a metal drag mat.a drag mat is usually 5 by 6 or so and basically it gets the material down and you dont see it. you can use chain link fence or chicken fence with 2 by 4's on both ends to make a drag mat.what i would also do is airify and overseed at the same my opinion it is for golf courses,athletic fields and the wealthy homeowners . good luck i hope this helps.