topseeding over pre-emergent

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by ccorts, Mar 16, 2004.

1. ccorts

ccorts LawnSite Member

I bought enough lesco dimension (crabgrass pre-emergent) to take care of my lawn. I have a few areas that are "sparse" and I need to top seed these. Can I overseed my yard in places and also apply the lesco, or will the lesco prevent the grass seed from germinating. If I can not topseed about the same time, how long would I need to wait. Right now I am more concerned with the crabgrass problem (based on what I saw last fall) than the topseeding but I need to do both. Thanks for any helpful comments or suggestions.

2. Josey Wales

Josey Wales LawnSite Member

Sorry the two won't mix.

If your priority is crabgrass then put your Dimension down and wait about 3 or 4 months to overseed.

Be sure to use the label rates. The higher the rate the more residual action you will have and you will have to wait longer before overseeding.

3. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

Dimension will prevent the grass seed from germinating.

4. swim

swim LawnSite Senior Member

Put down the pre-emergent in the spring then overseed in the fall.

5. Critical Care

Critical Care LawnSite Bronze Member

This is a selective pre-emergent, however the instructions for Lesco Dimension Crabgrass pre-emergent states to wait 8 weeks to reseed after application. I wouldn't push my luck.

dimension.jpg

6. ccorts

ccorts LawnSite Member

Thank you for the input, especially the post from Critical Care. I'll wait 8 weeks after the app. to top seed.