topsoil coverage formula ?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LAWNMOWERBOY, May 7, 2001.

1. LAWNMOWERBOY

LAWNMOWERBOY LawnSite Member
    from NEPA

hi-

I already did a few searches - to no avail-

just wondering if anyone has any basic "rule of tumb" formulas for amount of topsoil needed for "x" sqft , and also how that translates into a tri-axle load??

thanks

LB

2. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

Length times width times depth divided by 27 equals cubic yards of dirt to cover it.

3. Eric ELM

I added links on the Lawnsite Links page to a Land Area Calculator that will figure the square feet of squares, triangles and circles.

I also added a calculator for Cubic Feet. This is for concrete, but cubic feet is cubic feet. :)

Both of these can be found on the Lawnsite Links Page on my website and are at the top in RED letters. I hope this helps you out. ;)

4. jeffyr

jeffyr LawnSite Senior Member

Silly request, but can we get that page of links at the top of the Lawnsite page in with "search" and "profile" ?

jeffyr

5. Eric ELM

Did you know it's already at the top of every page? Go to Help Registering and Participating and it's there, or just book mark my home page to get to a lot of things, such as the Lawnsite Links Page, Lawnsite Chat Room, Help on posting pictures, ect. :)

6. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

when calculating topsoil its important to add 10 per cent to account for compaction. Same when digging a hole, figure the excavated material at 10% more than the volume of the hole, once its "fluffed".