Topsoil help

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by redoak77, Apr 2, 2005.

1. redoak77

redoak77 LawnSite Senior Member

I currently have a customer that had a tree on a bank in her front yard fall down several years ago. The area has been covered with grass for as long as i have been mowing it but last year the ground started to settle a little bit and now it is impssible to mow without scalping a little bit of it. No matter what way i mow w/ m TTHP. Well i started talking about it with the customer and she gave me the go ahead to level it of w/ topsoil. The only problem is i dont know how to go about doing this. :confused: I can get the topsoil but do i need to get it mixed with seed of just get straight top soil and put some new grass seed over the top soil? Is the a better solution and how do i put it down? I was thinking just a shovel, wheelbarrow and rake, but then won't it just settle some more? And also, do i need to remove the sod before i put down the new top soil?

2. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

Topsoil with seed already in it??? Does that actually exist?

The settling is probablly from the roots/trunk rotting. You might need to do this several times over the years depending on how bad it is. As for removing the existing turf...only do this if the grass has unwanted weeds in it already. If it is a nice lawn already it really doesn't matter...place the topsoil on top, level it, seed it, gently rake seed into soil, litely tamp/roll the soil, add some straw to help with washout and animals, water regulary...that should be it for this job...although you didn't give us much to go off of.