Topsoil it or sample it first?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by ECHOTURF, May 18, 2005.

?

Should I topsoil and seed or sample first?

Poll closed Jun 17, 2005.
  1. Topsoil it, the problem will be buried and harmless.

28.6%
  2. Sample it, the problem may continue down the road.

71.4%
  1. ECHOTURF

ECHOTURF LawnSite Member
    from usa

Just took a look at this yard.....

Does it appear that this is a shade and soil compaction issue or another problem like, patch disease? Should I take a soil sample or can I get by putting a 1/2" layer of topsoil, seed it and problem fixed? Just concerned about any diseases leaching into the top dressing and continuing to be a problem area! Folks would like it done asap so not much time to make up my mind on it.

Whats your call? Appreciate any feedback..... :)

SEE ATTACHED IMAGES

114_1459B.jpg

114_1460A.jpg

2. stumper1620

stumper1620 LawnSite Bronze Member

is that a year around problem or new this spring? looks like snow mold damage to me, looks like a good spot for the snow to drift in and be shaded for a late melt off. rake hard & seed it. throw some starter fert in with it.
    If its heavily compacted aerate then throw some gypsum on it to help soften the soil. JMO

3. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Well your not gonna get good turf growth under birches they are very greedy tree's,but it looks to me like it's a drainage,compaction problem also,and possibly loss from snow.So I think what you have is a combo problem that's gonna take a combination of remedies.For one thing,suggest giving the birch roots a wide swath of their own with mulch and no grass.
    Then remove old sod,add compost and good weedless topsoil and rototill in(exept)over the roots of the trees.Then reseed or sod the whole thing.If the soil is worked up and volume added to it,that mounds it up a bit and helps it drain off all sides.

4. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Sell them a new lawn install. Looks like 1/2 the lawn died out from snow mold. It would be to hard to try and match all those sections with the same kind of seed and look, so I would suggest that there best results would be from a new lawn payup