topsoil or fill dirt?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Metz, Jul 22, 2007.

1. Metz

Metz LawnSite Member

a customer wants me to bring in fill dirt all around the foundation of his home and build up the mulch beds so the rain water runs away from the house. he said the home inspector (customer just moved in) told him topsoil won't do, it must be fill dirt. why won't topsoil do? is this guy right or doesn't it matter?

2. grandview (2006)

grandview (2006) LawnSite Gold Member

Depending how deep the holes are and how high your going to build the beds up,you'll be better off with the dirt fill. The reason is with topsoil it was shredded and screened and that makes it fluffy so when it rains it will just compress. You can maybe top dress the beds with good topsoil.

3. Focal Point Landscapes

Focal Point Landscapes LawnSite Senior Member

Fill dirt with a high clay content will not absorb water as well as topsoil , thus causing water to run off away from the house - at least that's my guess on his thinking . Grandview makes a good suggestion since the foundation planting will need good soil - the problem is that if you add fill dirt , then sufficient topsoil for plant success , you have a berm that will trap water close to the foundation - which will defeat the fix that the inspector suggested ..... I would use topsoil , graded away from the house .