topsoil or other for proper slope of patio

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by sgilroy, Sep 3, 2007.

1. sgilroy

sgilroy LawnSite Member

i need to add about 3" of dirt to correctly slope an area for a concrete paver patio. it seems that i may need to use topsoil to do so due to local availabilty. will this compact well? also what type of topsoil would compact best.
    there will be 4-5" of crushed stone on top of the dirt, then an inch of stone dust, then the concrete cobblestone pavers.

any other suggestions to fill for the grading before the stone base layer?
    thanks.

Scott

2. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

Whatever you do, do not use top soil. Infact, even though you need to build the area up, you need to remove any organic matieral including the current top soil from the area. What you want to do is build the whole area up with crushed stone.

And please use corse concrete sand and not stone dust for the setting bed.

3. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

No stone dust. You can get shredded clay, that compacts but why not just raise the 3" with compacted 21A/CR16?

4. sgilroy

sgilroy LawnSite Member

i had already removed the layer of sod from the area. doesn't the ground need to be sloped correctly for drainage prior to building up the area with stone? once water drains through the crushed stone, it will drain toward the house given the current slope of the dirt, correct?

also, why no stone dust to lay pavers on? this is common practice up here in central ny?
    thanks for the post and i'll await your reply.

thanks again,
    Scott

5. sgilroy

sgilroy LawnSite Member

mrusk,
    please refer to my response of your post on my thread if you can, thanks.
    Scott

(i had already removed the layer of sod from the area. doesn't the ground need to be sloped correctly for drainage prior to building up the area with stone? once water drains through the crushed stone, it will drain toward the house given the current slope of the dirt, correct?

also, why no stone dust to lay pavers on? this is common practice up here in central ny?
    thanks for the post and i'll await your reply.)

thanks again,
    Scott

6. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

Hardly any h20 will make it to the subgrade. It will run off the pavement.

7. KPJK

KPJK LawnSite Member

Icpi will give you all of the answers.They are called interlocking pavers for a reason (SAND).

8. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

look at the icpi manual.

just because a lot of people are doing it does not mean it is right...

also if you use the correct product as your base, it in impervious in regards to water.