topsoil question

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by ronslawncare, Jun 15, 2001.

1. ronslawncare

ronslawncare LawnSite Senior Member

one of my residential customers just had her lawn rip up because of a cesspool.i will be laying sod in that area.my question is the area has alot of fill after i grade it and take out as much rock as i can how many inches of topsoil should i lay over that area .thanx ronnie

2. SCL

SCL LawnSite Senior Member

We usually put down 2 to 4 inches of good topsoil to give the sod a decent chance to root down. Just as important is to ameen the soil underneath and loosen it. Use a good starter fertilizer and you should be okay. Sod is pretty resilient if you keep it watered.

3. lawnboykb

lawnboykb LawnSite Member

Put in as much as they (the owners) will let you....roots on grass will go to about 5-6 inches. And remember you are creating a layer effect.

4. Atlantic Lawn

Atlantic Lawn LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Outer Banks NC

I live on the coast of N/E NC. Last time I checked with a large supplier of sand and soil the price for a tandem of topsoil was $250. You end up with 12-14 cu yards of soil. How much are you guys paying for soil?

5. stslawncare

stslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member
    from DE

how much do i pay? hmmmm thats a hard question for me lol. well lets see unlimited supply whenever needed for any job i have anywhere. and at what price? well lets see how about zero? 0? cero? none? however u wanna say it.

6. eskals

eskals LawnSite Member

Hmm...Unlinited supply of free topsoil? Send some my way.

Nevermind, FedEx overnight would cost a fortune!! :D

Eric

7. paul

paul Lawnsite Addict

Remember don't change the grade too much you could cause them more problems. Adding top soil to a yard just to amend the top couple of inches as long as it's mixed in the the soil structure is ok. Make sure your subbase is roughed in so you don't get a soild layer that's impermable.

8. ronslawncare

ronslawncare LawnSite Senior Member

i figured ill go with 3 inches to be on the safe side