topsoil question

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by MowingisMaddness, Oct 8, 2004.

1. MowingisMaddness

MowingisMaddness LawnSite Senior Member

I have always installed topsoil by the ton. However, because of moisture I know this is a really bad method. But how to I now switch my estimating to cubic yds? If my 1 ton of topsoil is dry is there a factor that can change tons to cubic yds? Just ball park... Like 1 cu yd topsoil = 1.5tons of dry topsoil?

2. qualitylandscaping

qualitylandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

1 yd topsoil dry = 1800-2200lbs
    1 yd topsoil wet= 2900-3400lbs

3. MowingisMaddness

Steve,
    :waving: Thank You! :waving:

So, 1 cubic yard of dry topsoil roughly weighs 1 ton...

4. activelandscaping

activelandscaping LawnSite Member

Hi,
    Just curious as to how you came about pricing by the ton, arround here light materials are allways priced by the yard. Stone, however, the supplier prices by the ton.:confused:

Regards,
    Active

5. qualitylandscaping

qualitylandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes, depending on type of soil (sand,clay, good stuff) and how dry it really is.. But 1 ton per yard is a decent estimate..

6. MowingisMaddness

I was pricing by the ton because my supplier sells it by the ton.

7. muddstopper

muddstopper LawnSite Silver Member

If you are buying by the ton and selling by the ton, why do you need to convert to yards? Unless you are trying to figure out the amount of coverage area per ton for estimating purposes, why is a conversion needed?

8. MowingisMaddness

I wanted to convert tons to yards for estimating...

9. AGLA

AGLA LawnSite Bronze Member

I think that it makes no sense what so ever to sell or buy topsoil by the ton. Its entire use is volume oriented. It makes no difference whether it weighs a ton or a ton and a half as long as it fills the hole you want to fill or adds 4" to the surface you want to seed.

The seller, we would think, would like to know how much product he has so that he can calculate what to charge for it and be able to account for his inventory. Doing it by weight adds a variable for both the buyer and the seller. Different soil is going to be able to hold more water than others, so the weight will vary widely. Should topsoil cost more after it rains?

The only reason that I can see for selling it by the ton is to avoid confrontations between management and loaders and customers as to whether the loader bucket was too full or not full enough. At least the seller can say "you paid for 2 tons and you got 2 tons, here is your scale ticket".

10. activelandscaping

activelandscaping LawnSite Member

Not sure if you guys have frost laws there? In MI when they put frost laws into effect the maximum shipping load goes from 30 ton to 10 ton, this really only would effect materials that would be used for paving base or gravel for drainage. The trucks must be weighed, the fines involved for breaking frost laws are very high. This is the only

Regards,
    Active