1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Topsoil Questions

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by ajordan193, Oct 8, 2007.

1. ajordan193

ajordan193 LawnSite Senior Member
    from WNY

Customer wants me to fill in the area where her above ground pool used to be. Width is 22ft and 13 inches deep. How much topsoil do you think will take to cover this area in order to grow grass?

Also the yard is fenced in and only has a 48 inch opening what the best way of moving this dirt? Would a mini skid loader work?

2. ACutAbovesiny

ACutAbovesiny LawnSite Senior Member

Is it 22' round?? Is that the diameter? If so...15-16 yards should do. If you have a mini skid that would do...if not get the shovel and wheel barrows out.
  3. creeper

creeper LawnSite Member
    from Ga

Put 9 inches of clean fill and 4 inches of top soil. Increases your profit margin and lowers the price you can give the customer.

13 inches of top soil is a waste to plant grass over.

It would probably be cost effective to remove a section of fence and drive a couple of trucks in. Moving all that dirt through the small opening is going to tear it up and damage the area. Not knowing your situation, we often removed sections of fence, lay down plywood and back in over the plywood to minimize or eliminate lawn damage.
  4. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

2nd that^^^
  5. Dirt Digger2

Dirt Digger2 LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

you need more then 4inches of topsoil....6-8 is good, but i was going to say the same thing...get half fill dirt and half topsoil
  6. PlatinumLandCon

PlatinumLandCon LawnSite Bronze Member

6-8 is a waste. 4 is good for grass. Spread the fill then compact (not hard like concrete but pack it a bit) then lay topsoil. Simple job. I think it might be worth it to just get a couple guys and use wheelbarrows.
  7. ajordan193

ajordan193 LawnSite Senior Member
    from WNY

Hey guys thanks for all the replys. The customer is going to take care of getting the soil, i'll make mention maybe getting fill then good topsoil for the top 4-6 inches. I don't want to use wheel barrows if i can help it. I'm going to try and see if i can get a mini skid in the backyard.

Any idea on how long it would normally take for 2 guys and a mini skid to move this amount of soil and grade?
  8. ACutAbovesiny

ACutAbovesiny LawnSite Senior Member

it depends how far into the yard you are traveling. I suppose 2-3 hours if you are efficiant.
  9. greenoasis

greenoasis LawnSite Member
    from Zone 6

Yes. You definitely want to avoid the wheelbarrow. Too labor intensive. That's why God gave us power equipment.
  10. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I agree you don't want to move that much dirt manually, omg...

Due to the 48" opening this might be that kind specialty job where the toro dingo is the machine that will do it, but I'd also check into the RC-30 thou it will be a tight fit with a restricted field of vision (RC-30 Machine width: 46.5 in) and depending how the gate is hinged it might still not fit, up to you but I'd check it out, that RC-30... Not sure on the bucket specs, but I think it's a cu.foot bigger.

Not much else that will fit, compact skid steers is about it, maybe check into ditchwitch as well, anyhow you'll likely rent one I suppose so let them guide you as well.