1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Topsoil

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by lawnguy224, Mar 31, 2010.

1. lawnguy224

lawnguy224 LawnSite Member

Greetings,

I need some help with a difficult estimate. I have a customer that would like approx 2 inches of new topsoil in his back yard, raked and leveled and seeded.

The problem is it is almost impossible to get into the back yard. I can have the soil put in the driveway, to get to the back yard there is a gate just big enough to get a wheel barrow through but they have a retaining wall that is about 5 feet tall to get up from the drive way then to the back yard. I will have to move the soil from the driveway, over the retaining wall and wheel it into the back yard. I figure I will likely have to use pails :hammerhead: from the driveway to the wheel barrow. I need to move approx 20 cubic yards of soil.:weightlifter:

What would you charge???????

I figured I would just charge my hourly rate X # of hours

I figured I could move about 1 yard per hour, then 1-2 hours to rake and seed.

Any feed back would be great

2. ajslands

ajslands LawnSite Silver Member

I'd rent like a dingo Or a skid steer, and then just put the dirt in the wheel barrow and haul it on back, and ya you might get a little over spill but that's why someone invented tarps. For the charging part I have no idea!
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. Craig3

Craig3 LawnSite Member

tell them to hire illegals/high school kids/boy scouts to get the dirt into the back yard, then to call you.

4. hackitdown

hackitdown LawnSite Silver Member

Can you remove part of the fence?

5. lawnguy224

lawnguy224 LawnSite Member

I was thinking about taking down a section of fence