1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Torch weed control

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by SproulsLawnCare, Oct 31, 2005.

1. SproulsLawnCare

SproulsLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member
    from IN

I have never used one of those torch set ups that are supposed to control vegetation by burning it off. Can anyone tell me their experience, or does anyone have any insight on the use of this method? I have very limited need for weed/ vegetation control at this point in my business so I thought this may be a fairly cheap way of taking care of chain link fence and sidewalks until I take the plunge to get a chem. license.

TURFLORD LawnSite Senior Member

Sorry but................Here's yer sign.
  3. probably works good till you burn something down.
  4. Garth

Garth LawnSite Senior Member

I've seen city road crews using these flame throwers off the back of a truck in the High Desert but as to the effectiveness I cannot attest. Seems rather defeatist though as the ashes are great fertilization for the next crop of weeds. I guess for those who believe that "ALL CHEMICALS ARE BAD", it would be an environmentally sound way to deal with the problem until they burn down the neighbourhood as JBLawn said.
  5. GreenUtah

GreenUtah LawnSite Senior Member
    from SLC, UT

I regularly used a torch to burn off weeds in parking lots and cement areas after they were killed with r-up(safer and cleaner than flinging shtuff with a trimmer). Note that I only used it in areas where nothing else could catch fire. I would not do fence lines or roadsides with it, but hey, that's me, I liked keeping my liability exposure low..lol
  6. jasonnau

jasonnau LawnSite Senior Member

I hope you have insurance.
  7. Microbe

Microbe LawnSite Member

8. nocutting

nocutting LawnSite Senior Member

Hello all, I'd be very concerned in todays day and age about any contracter useing and open flam to burn weeds or grass's down on my property!!!!!!....its time to look into the therory, and just change the method?....theres a modern version that heats its metal applicater to 2000 degrees, instead of burning you are heating.....it boils the chlorophyll and they [ the weeds] burst.... it does take a few seconds holdind the device on the intended vic, but works verrrry well.:waving:
  9. Garth

Garth LawnSite Senior Member

No insult intended (O.K. maybe a little one) but I'd be concerned about someone who can't spell "contractor" "USEING AND OPEN FLAM"

Just kidding... you cracked me up.
  10. lawncarepros2004

lawncarepros2004 LawnSite Member

Do you have a brand name for this heating applicator?