Torching Poly

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Rainman7, Jun 22, 2007.

1. Rainman7

Rainman7 LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

Poly installers

Do all of you heat the pipe when fitting? I saw a company the other day and the crew had all rubber mallets to whack the fittings in. They said they werent allowed to use torches because heating the pipe made an inferior seal. Anyone else do this?

2. CAPT Stream Rotar

CAPT Stream Rotar LawnSite Fanatic

I have watched guys just install with heat(no clamps)....and guys install dry(no heat)..

We use heat and clamps....

Personally, its a Joke of anyone believes that...always heat the inside of your poly for 2-3 secs with a propane torch..Dry fittings makes me think the Boss man is to cheap to buy propane for the crew.....

BTW-ask that crew how their wrists feel@ the end of the season....
    sorry rainman7-but thats just a joke.....Heat does not ruin the integrity of the pipe!!!!!

3. jerryrwm

jerryrwm LawnSite Bronze Member

4. CAPT Stream Rotar

CAPT Stream Rotar LawnSite Fanatic

heat just makes it easier for the installer pal....
    And if (which it does not) affect the pipe heat=installer friendly...

nuff said.

5. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

I wonder if the mallet guys know that there is now a tool to temporarily stretch out the poly, so a fitting goes in without effort.

6. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

Solvent welding creates its own heat.

7. Mjtrole

Mjtrole LawnSite Member

try this on your next install or service call. heat one fitting, clamp it and then remove the clamp and try and remove the fitting...very very hard to pull that fitting out of a heated pipe.

Now try the same without heating it, lot easier to pull from the unheated pipe.

And after 19yrs in the biz, I have never seen a heated fitting blow out from one of our installs.

8. PurpHaze

Is that tool one of the ones that has crossed over from the adult sex toys catalog into the irrigation houses? :)

9. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

I was going to post something about the need for the pipe to be relaxed with a candle-lit dinner and a glass of merlot, so the fitting could slide in more easily....

10. PurpHaze

If that were truly the case I'd switch from trencher dude to poly puller in a heart beat.