1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

tore between some engines

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by unkownfl, Mar 24, 2009.

1. unkownfl

unkownfl LawnSite Gold Member

I have been looking at a 19hp kawasaki fh580v for 870 to my door with recoil start and a provision for a electric starter 15amp. Secondly, a 18hp honda for about 875 shipped 20 amp with recoil and electric start. Lastly, a kohler 17hp with only electric start single cylinder 15amp for 650 to my door.
    This is going to be my main mower a Lesco 48inch cut hydro dual pump w/b that I bought for 300 bucks, but the kawasaki fc540v blew a hole in the bottom of the block and the weight fell out. The first two engines are v twins and the last is a single cylinder I just need some advice on which engine or if the mower is even worth putting a engine on. Everything on the mower seems to be in decent working order I have never seen it in action. One last question would all these bolt on I don't see anywhere where it tells me about the bolt pattern.

2. unkownfl

ttt anyone?

3. joshco84

joshco84 LawnSite Senior Member

i would buy the kohler depending on which motor it is. 17 horse will be just fin on a 48 hydro

4. unkownfl

They have a cv490s and a cv492s, I don't know which one. They look to be the same to me? Maybe one is discontinued?

5. olde_blue

olde_blue LawnSite Senior Member

Is the lesco originally electric start?
    Don't forget that you will need a muffler and exhaust manifold (unless the engines come with one--or unless all your customers are hard of hearing and you don't mind being also). Exhaust for the 17/19 Kawasaki's are available used for pretty cheap on ebay; the Kohler exhaust is probably pretty common; the Honda might be more difficult to find.

6. huskres

huskres LawnSite Senior Member

I wouldnt get the single cylinder. They seem to actually eat more gas and arent as smooth.

7. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Do a search, there exists crucial information you need to know.
    "engine replacement" might work, maybe search thread titles only.