Torn Between 2 ZTRs...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by GreenBlade, May 3, 2012.

1. GreenBlade

GreenBlade LawnSite Member

Ok, so some of you may have seen my thread on upgrading to SCAG. Well, my dad is a die-hard John Deere man. He was raised on a farm using John Deere machines.

So currently I am wanting to upgrade from our Cub Cadet RZT 50 to a SCAG Tiger Cat (52" 22HP Kawasaki). My dad, however, is wanting to get a John Deere Z655 (54" 27HP John Deere Cyclone). The price difference is considerably less, and both dealers are in our backyard. The John Deere is a "heavy-duty" RESIDENTIAL lawn mower. Where, obviously the SCAG is a "low-end" (is anything SCAG makes low end? haha) COMMERCIAL grade lawn mower. At the moment I am 15 & mow 6 yards & occasionally some one-time clients when they go out of town or their grass is too much for them to handle. I will be driving next year & will be (hopefully) picking up considerably more clients.

So, any advice to help me out? Anything to change my dad's mind? :hammerhead:
  2. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

try to talk him into letting you get a z700 or z900 series deere ztr.
  3. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

The Z700 would be the ideal mower for you.
  4. 32vld

32vld LawnSite Gold Member

Problem with these darn kids these days they just won't respect their elders.
  5. GreenBlade

I was looking at the Z700 as well. So I guess its between that and a Tiger Cat. How much do the Z700s run?
  6. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

GO demo each machine,,,,,,,, THEN INFORM the dealer what your doing, and let THEM FIGHT FOR YOR BUSINESS
  7. GreenBlade

The SCAG dealer does not offer demos. I haven't checked with the John Deere dealer yet.