1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by grassworks, Feb 9, 2003.

1. grassworks

grassworks LawnSite Member

For several years I have been balancing My Operation between Customers who require mowing and full maintenance and Customers who are only on my 6 -step lawn treatment program. I am currently a solo op with 1 full time employee. My weekly mowing /maintence stops are a majority of my income , however the lawncare apps are the most profitable( per stop). I find many times it's difficult to balance between having a weekly mowing/maintence route and a seperate Route of Lawncare only customers. My Lawncare only customers can be neglected sometimes. Do any of you have a seperate route of lawncare only? Do you struggle to make a "timely" service. I'm thinking of reducing my mowing and going full time fert /weed service due to the profit margin and need for less labor involved and yet it's hard to let go of the "bread & butter" mowing. Opinions wanted... thanks
  2. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Well, better to be too busy than to be short on work I guess...

My 1st two thoughts are these...could more productive equipment allow you to do everything more "timely"? If not, I think I would look at other ways of opening up the old schedule. Maybe drop one of those less profitable mowings to take the pressure off some....

Hard to say really...But don't feel bad though, you are not the only one trying to figure out how's best to restructure for next season.
  3. 1grnlwn

1grnlwn LawnSite Bronze Member

You are not alone. I have had the same exact problem. The ironic thing is I would like more fert customers. I think it is because fert/weed can wait. Mowing can't.

4. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

We sign full package & fert only. Why not do both. They are both very profitable. When you have to fertilize, let your help do more maintenance so you can do your apps.

5. baddboygeorge

baddboygeorge LawnSite Bronze Member

if they aint full maintainence i dont stop thats the way i set my business years ago . people want a full service company they dont want to have to call for mowing ,for landscaping ,for fertilizing,for snowplowing etc. .people are to busy for that they want a full service company that can handle all there needs!!
  6. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

Sounds like you are ready to make a big decision. You will need to decide what you want to go after. Quicker profits or the bragging rights of being the "whole package" guy.

7. Shuter

Shuter LawnSite Bronze Member

I do have a simlilar set up. Most of my business is maintenance, with these customers getting a 5 step system over the season. I do have additional homeowners that get the fertilizer system. I pick one day and do fertilizing. Easy for me to say as I only mow 3 days pewr week.