1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Tornado Fuel Saver

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MImowerkid, Jul 12, 2004.

1. MImowerkid

MImowerkid LawnSite Member

Has anyone out there put a tornado fuel saver on their truck if so , was it worth the price?
  2. eshreve1234

eshreve1234 LawnSite Member

I have not used one. Don't you think if it worked it would come stock? Ford and GM spend millions a year on improving fuel economy, so I find it hard to believe that the tornado works. Just like the additives you pour into your fuel tank, the only thing they do is lighten your wallet.
  3. robertsturf

robertsturf LawnSite Bronze Member

It does not justify the cost. I used one on my 2000 F-250 . and it was a waste of money. No desernable difference in mileage. 6.0 Engine auto transmission.
  4. Meg-Mo

Meg-Mo Inactive

WE put one on a 03 dodge pulling a 20 ft. by 102" wide trailer. Before the tornado pulled in 2 nd gear now pull in drive and at 70 to75 mi per very little shifting and about 2 mi. better gas mileage.
  5. Trevors Lawn Care

Trevors Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

thats why all trucks come with K&N now too right? And flowmaster exhaust systems?
    The only experience i have had with one is on a 2002 grand am GT and it did about 20-30% better fuel economy. I doubt the notice would be that great on a truck, but still worth it. I drive a lot and was thinking about putting one in.

6. chimmygew

chimmygew LawnSite Senior Member

They are crap. Get on a search engine and read all the revues. Not a lot of happy customers. I personally think they are a waste of money. I would invest in a new hypertech chip long before I'd put on another one of those.
  7. watercop

watercop LawnSite Member

Rest assured that the Tornado and other similar gizmos purported to improve fuel economy are utter ripoffs. As has been noted, major automakers expend megabucks improving fuel economy and any technology that legitimately improves economy would have long since been integrated into vehicle designs.

I have heard that some individuals have experienced gains in economy following installation - that can be attributed to them altering their driving habits - essentially driving more gently, managing momentum, minimizing braking, avoiding high speeds, high rpm, etc.

Please don't blow your money on this or anything similar. Stick with what works - proper tire pressure, gentle driving, clean air filters, lowest oil viscosity consistent with engine wear, and appropriate tuneups.

On the issue of chips, tuners, and other fuel (re) mapping tools / devices: Those generally provide more power, not greater efficiency - in certain circumstances they can increase torque, and in certain certain circumstances, the increased torque can be used to stay in a higher gear at a given speed / load / weight / slope than was possible before. This, and only this effect, can result in improved efficiency / mpg
  8. chimmygew

chimmygew LawnSite Senior Member

WOW, that is really all I have to say about your post watercop. impressive.
  9. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Get a K&N filter and get it over with. I'm getting around 18 MPG on the highway with a 6.0 litre Vortec that has 130K on it. I've seen a 2 MPG difference, that adds up pretty quick.
  10. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

How you can put a swirly (did I just make that word up?) device before the throttle body and expect any of the swirling action to come out on the other side is beyond me. At almost any throttle position the throttle body butterfly would block and dissipate any tornado movement of air that comes off of the Tornado. Air your tires up, stay out of the gas and change your spark plugs if you want a real increase in fuel mileage.

If people had even the slightest inkling of how fuel injection works they wouldn't buy this crap.