Toro 12.5 kaw. vs. 15 kohler

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Shuter, Mar 16, 2003.

1. Shuter

Shuter LawnSite Bronze Member

I am buying a 36" Toro, but I have to pick which motor. What do you guys think about a 12.5 hp Kaw vs. a 15hp Kohler. I know the Kohler is more hp, but I have no experience with the quality of a Kohler motor. Any opinions would be great. Thanks.

FLMOWER LawnSite Member

Not sure about the kholer, I have a 12.5 Kawi on my 95 Toro and it starts up first time every time and never bogs down, this mower has kicked butt since day one.
  3. MTR

MTR LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

Both have about same torque, so they are not much different in power. I am all the way on 12.5 Kaw, this thing kicked serious butt besides so easy and cheap to take care of. It pulls me well on jungle jim sulky "learning to fly".
  4. svlandscape

svlandscape LawnSite Member

I have a Toro 36" Proline with the Kawasaki 12.5 and it kicks butt!
    I have had it for almost 4 years and with regular maintenance it has not given me any problems. The only time I wish it had more power is when we scalp in October for annual overseeding (Bermuda overseeded with perrenial rye)
  5. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Not having a Kawi I am not gonna say anything about them except I hear they are good.

I do have a Kohler 15 electric start on my Toro 44" T-bar and that has been a good motor for me. It slides my tail around with a Proslide and I weigh 200#. Never had a problem with the motor.
  6. accuratelawn

accuratelawn LawnSite Senior Member

I had a kaw 12.5 on a 36 JD walk. It never! gave me any problems. That mower would cut down anything you could put in front of it. I sold the mower after three years of use. The new owner has run it for two years w/o any problem.
  7. Shuter

Shuter LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks for the replies. Sounds like the 12.5 kawi is the way to go.
  8. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

My 12.5 kawi has been a good motor also.

LAWNS AND MOWER LawnSite Bronze Member

I've been running a Kohler Command 15hp on my Toro 44 for seven years and love it. No problems at all.