Toro 1438Z timecutter??

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by Knukey, May 12, 2005.

1. Knukey

Knukey LawnSite Member

I just bought the mower listed above for $1800 with 10 hours on it. Now can someone tell me how big a mistake I have made buying this mower. What problems to look out for and if possible how to prevent them.

I cut a 3/4 acre flat suburban lot around lots of trees and need to be able to carry it easily and get through 42" gates to cut other lots VERY RARELY.

I found the site after the purchase (story of my life :cry: ) I did the same thing when I bought a used 1999 Victory motorcycle.

2. procut

procut LawnSite Bronze Member

That mower should be fine if you use it at your own house only. I have the exact same machene, and have had a few problems with it, but it has been used commercially. Also, $1800 with 10 hours sound like you got a pretty good deal.

3. Knukey

Knukey LawnSite Member

I'm a deal Wh*re, so I have to drive 700 miles round trip to pick it up! To my calculation with fuel and meals, should cost me another $120 to go get it (my time not included, road trip!). What problems have you had with yours so I'll know what to watch?

4. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

I believe Consumer Reports rated those Toro machines near the bottom in their test of homeowner ZTR's. you might want to get a copy of their report to see what you problems you might expect.

5. Knukey

Knukey LawnSite Member

Consumer Reports has recommended a few lemons to me over the years. I just hope it cuts well and doesn't fall apart!

6. Knukey

Knukey LawnSite Member

I drove 5 hours each way to pick this mower up. It is like new. I hope it holds together under the light work I have planned for it.

I sold my Crapsman to a buddy and delivered it to his door as a favor. I fired it up and cut his back yard. It was around 2 ft high as he NEEDED the mower. I had no problems. So a little later he jumps on his "new" mower to check her out. He cuts for maybe 2 minutes and "KA-THUNK" a quill shears off. :realmad: I thought it was making a little noise, but now I KNOW it was making noise. :rolleyes: We laugh at the irony since it is no big deal to fix it. I offer to pay for a new quill, he says its OK. He lives near a Agri-Supply store that stocks them and they are around $30. He broke it as soon as he got on it. He is one of those guys. :p