Toro 16hp Z not charging

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by wlkjr, Aug 26, 2005.

1. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

With the engine running at full throttle what is the AC voltage you are getting from the two wires coming from the stator going into the V/R? Read voltage from wire to wire and from wire to frame and post back your readings. Remember to set meter for AC voltage.

2. wlkjr

wlkjr LawnSite Member

I will make these other tests tomorrow evening when I get home. The neighbors might not like it if I fired that baby off after midnight. Hopefully my son won't come pick it up to cut his grass. Never would have thought about putting the VM on AC. Why would that be?

3. fixer67

The stator puts out AC and your VM will not read AC if it is in DC mode. You get AC from that stator and the voltage rectifier/regulator changes it to DC and then set the out put to 13.8 to 14.2 VDC. The stator out put at full throttle can be as high as 36-48 VAC. And in some cases higher. If the out put is below 24 VAC your stator is starting to go bad. I can take my Fluke 77 and set it to DC voltage and put the leads in a 120 VAC house out let and it will read nothing even though the out is live. Todays meters can tell the difference between AC and DC. Older meters could not. With todays meters you can test for AC riding on a DC line and DC riding on a AC line. This is good for when you are doing work that needs power filtering.

4. wlkjr

wlkjr LawnSite Member

Thanks fixer67, I'll make that reading this afternoon when I get home. If I do get the correct reading from the stator, how can I tell if the voltage regulator is good?

5. wlkjr

wlkjr LawnSite Member

Looks like a new voltage reg. runs from $36-40 and altenator about $26. Does this sound about right?

6. wlkjr

wlkjr LawnSite Member

Here's the latest. I'm reading 29.31 VAC from the alternator but I am not reading anything on the red lead DC to ground out of the voltage regulator. Does this mean the regulator is bad?

7. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Given the last test of ac output the stator is fine. The problem is the regulator.

8. wlkjr

wlkjr LawnSite Member

Guess I can look for a regulator B&S part # 691188. Hints?

9. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

I guess all you can do is look around online, I just went to www.partstree.com and they are a bit pricey $ 70 and some change. I don't have Briggs pricing here at home so I can't give you MSRP.

10. fixer67