1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

TORO 2000 Z355 w/ CY25 Engine Electrical Problems STILL

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by drapersmeadow, Sep 30, 2007.

1. drapersmeadow

drapersmeadow LawnSite Member

:confused: Asked for help the other week...battery not charging...tested out regulator and found that I had 28 + volts...SOO replaced regulator. Seemed to fix the problem...held charge on new battery for the past 2 weeks, started today, ran for a while and when restarting, no juice...:confused:
    Relays clicking...jumped...started fine...ran for a while....
    While mowing on a hill that sloped to the left it started to misfire...killed deck, choked and saved it...circled around to same hill after 100 yd loop and same symptom...this time could not save it. Tried to start and no relays..silent.

Lt it sit for a while (so that I diin't get the sledge hammer!) Hit the key and got relay clicks...dead battery still...jumped and fine.

Ran for 20 30 mins or so on flat ground...turned off deck...let idle for a few mins and when kicking up the RPMS...died out again.

This time I checked the Stator ohms and got .2 and infinity on grounded individual leads per troubleshoot manual for Kohler ( says the stator is OK if this result?). I have previously cleaned and relugged the motor ground. All safety relays are chattering when key is turned and getting click on fuel relay and starter relay...but no loud slapping sounds (

Prior problem, before regulator replaced was no charge but starter solenoid made lots of noise trying to start. Now I don't get that ...just the safety relays?? And not holding charge??? Pain in the .......sorry for long post...any help appreciated.

2. drapersmeadow

Sorry..mentioned starter relay...meant solenoid.:dizzy:
  3. khouse

khouse LawnSite Bronze Member

Still sounds like a bad battery connection on either end of the cables.
  4. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

With all of these intermittent things going on I believe I would take a look at the ignition switch and plug connector.

Look for any rust/corrosion on the connectors or burn/brown areas on the back of the switch.
  5. tomo

tomo LawnSite Senior Member

hello , batteries do go "" dead"" and give the symtoms u r saying .Have battery fully charged [by a proper commercial charger] and then load tested [around 275 amps to 350 ] Under load it should read at least 9.5 volts . Load test 5--10 seconds .A kohler str mtr will draw around 300 amps .

Recommended is to have an additional earth lead installed batt [-] to engine block near str motor .

Typically the charging wire path from the regulater to the ignition switch and then on to the battery .Voltage drop of more than .5 volt is considered to be a concern Eg voltmeter ,place one lead on output of reg and the other lead on the batt [+]
    Do all of the above with engine at full speed . NB place a electrical load across the battery terminal eg a 1 or 2 ,12v 100 watt auto bulb .Each bulb draws approx 8 amps . DONOT EXCEED THE SYSTEMS CHARGE CAPACITY ,possibly be 3,15, 20, 25 amps ?? The reading in voltage drop and the batt voltage will then be as close to real world as u can get

All the other possible causes listed by previous posters are also very likely to give the same issues also .

tomo :waving:
  6. drapersmeadow

thanks for all the input...will check things out tomorrow PM...SAM
  7. gocards

gocards LawnSite Member

Anyone know how to resolve this issue?
  8. drapersmeadow

found a wire that was broken inside the engine shroud. Did not take engine out, just tested out all connections for continuity and found that one was bad. Ran a jumper (soldered in around shroud) and has run fine since...into this season. Good Luck.