Toro 21" Commercial - 163 CC Honda or 179 CC Kawasaki?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Howie's Lawn Care, Jun 28, 2005.

1. Howie's Lawn Care

Howie's Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

Which model of 21" Toro Proline is better? Is either engine (163cc Honda or 179cc Kawasaki) the obvious winner in this comparison. Thanks for any help in advance.

2. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

My vote is for the honda. Quieter and uses less fuel. Other than that it is an personal opinion.

3. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

Mine are the older fc150v models. They are quiet, quite powerful, Easy to start, and pretty easy on the fuel.. The only thing I don't like is the oil filter, and that's just because I don't like to spend the extra $3 apiece for it when I change the oil ( which I rarely do because of the Synthetic I run )..

I really like the Honda engines, they are axe reliable, as long as you don't let gas sit up in them ( Of course, that'll do any mower in ).

However, I'll give the power edge to Kawasaki.. Whereas I think the Honda's a little lighter..

But it is deffinately personal opinion, as either are great. If the Suzuki was still sold though.. It'd be an easy decision.. Power of the Kawi, and lighter than any other.. Curse you EPA.

Almost forgot, whichever one you choose, turn the rpm's up. As they are delivered, they're pretty much just above idle Mine probly turn @ 3900-4000, and thrid gear is almost a jog. Gets the job done quicker and mulches like mad..

4. saw man

saw man LawnSite Bronze Member
    from utah

No better way to ruin your engine than set it 800 RPM higher than recomended!

4000 is way too high!

5. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

It's been running that way since 1999.

BTW, I'm pretty sure that factory rated rpm's are 3600 just like the rest of Manufacturer's.

6. saw man

saw man LawnSite Bronze Member
    from utah

from honda it is 3100 +-100

Those small engines should be around 3200. 4000 is too high, but you can leave it if you like.

7. z_clark

z_clark LawnSite Senior Member

I have 5 new toro 21's with the kawi this year. Our 21's see about 30 hours of work per week. We like the kawi's performance, and weight is not a big enough issue to determine your decision.

BUT, I have had to replace head gaskets on 3 of the 5 new mowers this year. All of this work was under warranty. Too much time spent running theses machines to the shop, not to mention being down a machine for 3 days :realmad: .

If this head gasket problem is not fixed next year, we will probably go Honda.

8. Fareway Lawncare

Fareway Lawncare LawnSite Silver Member
    from Canada

The Honda has a Very Small Gas Tank ...the Kaw Comes w/a 1 Gallon Tank...The Kaw has Better Torque...The Kaw is Cheaper...The Kaw is Heavier.

That is Everything You Need to Know.