Toro 21" commercial cutting issues?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by JaysLawns, Jun 12, 2008.

1. JaysLawns

JaysLawns LawnSite Member

Hey guys just recently for the last week I have been cutting some residential yards with my 2003 2 cycle suzuki 5.5 hp toro commercial 21" mower and notice it leaving a string of grass that it wont cut when I raise it up but when I lower it a notch it cuts fine, but the grass is growing where I cant lower it to that notch. I have never had this problem in years with this mower. I cut in dry conditions and the blades are nice and sharp. Thanks to all that reply.

JJ

2. nosoup4you

nosoup4you LawnSite Member
    from ne ohio

Couple things to try

1. Make sure deck is clean
    2. Make sure wheels are same height
    3. If your bagging, make sure there are no big holes in your bag
    4. Try lowering just the front wheels

3. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

buy a new blade, there is a nick or something in it. I had this problem with a three blade machine an it ended up being that the blades had been sharpened enough to shorten them just enoungh to miss this little "mowhawk of grass".
    When you lower the deck it is giving you more suction and it is sucking those thin blades in. At the higher hieght they stay straighter and the blade is juuuuust missing them.

4. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

Are you mulching, discharging, or bagging the clippings?

5. LawnBrother

LawnBrother LawnSite Senior Member
    from SW Ohio

Dirty deck? Nick in the blade? You could also try removing the black kicker plates under the deck. I mulch, discharge, and bag all in the same day sometimes, and I find it works well in all applications without the kickers. I have been wanting to put them back on for a new comparison.