Toro 21" Commercial Modifications

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by 678600, Jul 20, 2001.

1. 678600

678600 LawnSite Member

I thought some of my fellow Toro 21” Commercial users would be interested in a couple mods I made to my mower.

The first thing I did was put doubles on it. Yes, the 2-stroke handles doubles just fine. I started by grinding the flanges on the stock mulching blade by the bolt hole with my 4” angle grinder to accept the top blade. The stock blade is on the bottom, and the top blade is an Toro Atomic Mulching Blade, a “Gator” copy.

The next thing I did was attach an old “milk crate” basket to the cross-piece between the handles. It is attached with plastic “zip-ties”. In it, I carry an old-fashioned pair of grass clippers, a small plastic landscape rake, an E-Z Reacher pick up tool from Arcoa Industries, water, a sweat towel, and whatever else I need for a particular job. It sure saves trips to the truck!

I love my Toro, and haven’t had a bit of trouble with it. I would recommend it to anyone. It’s great not having to change the oil anymore! Maintenance is a breeze.

http://ezreacher.com/

2. Highpoint

Highpoint LawnSite Member

Sometimes I really mis the good ol days when all I needed to make a little dough was my trusty 21" push mower. 678600, you got some good ideas there. :cool:

3. whitleys

whitleys LawnSite Member
    from Kansas

678600 I've been using this for a couple years on the "zone start" model but i searching as to how to double blade the "bbc" models. I run two of each!

Help is appreciated. BTW This is a great site!!! Thanks Guys & Gals!

4. vipermanz

vipermanz LawnSite Bronze Member

Ok That's It,
    Going to the drawing board for doubles on the lb!

5. Craig Jones

Craig Jones LawnSite Member

Thanks for the tips on the proline. We run two of them, both zone starts. I will have to try the double blades. By the way, which type of oil mix do you use?

6. Twotoros

Twotoros LawnSite Senior Member

Be careful when changing blade specs. You may weaken the strength. I seen some 21" universal blades today I may try to double up. They are already flat and stronger than a modified toro blade. I ground a toro down today and I sense some flex that isn't in the original.

7. EJK2352

EJK2352 LawnSite Bronze Member

Do you do any bagging w/ the doubles?? If so how does it work??
    Do the doubles mulch any better??. Did you leave the plastic kickers on the deck?? I have a model #22040 Toro Proline and like you I've had no problems w/ it. ;) ED

8. 678600

678600 LawnSite Member

Craig Jones - I've been using Stihl oil exclusively for 15+ years, and have never had any trouble of any kind with my 2-stroke equipment.

Two Toros - I only ground my flanges down 1/8th of an inch...just enough for the top blade to rest firmly in the saddle. No flex....

EJK2352 - Yes, I have bagged, and it seems to bag fine with this setup. Yes, I left the plastic kickers attached to the deck. They keep the deck from getting clogged, and aid in mulching.