Toro 21 Commercial mower.....$1000!!!!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Ground Master, Jun 4, 2002.

1. Ground Master

Ground Master LawnSite Senior Member

I remember the first one I bought back in 90 or so........$530.

Now they sell for $1000 plus!!!!!!......Damn, I'm in the wrong business

Recently recieved a flyer from a local dealer: Retail $1029.99 with the 2 cycle suzuki engine, $949.99 with the kawi engine.......he was offering 50 bucks off each one.

I have 4 of these. Maybe I'm getting old, but I don't think they are worth the price.

I know, I know, then why do I have 4? .........Plain dumb luck I suppose.......

Question........Has anyone bought a much cheaper 21 inch SELF-PROPELLED walk behind and installed heavy duty steel wheels with bearings? Thats all these 21's are........

Maybe one of them.......21 Honda's from........gulp.........home depot.........Seems like that mower would last with steel wheels.
  2. marley

marley LawnSite Member

3. stslawncare

stslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member
    from DE

the steel wheels and bearings can be purchased for a great price i would imagine, and since majority of lcos use there push mower very little why not buy a cheap craftsman for around $250 add those wheels, and with regular maintenance should last for ages. i must say i am very pleased with my craftsman, i have had it for 3 or 4 years now and only thing done to it is 2 or 3 tune ups, its first year it was used to do 4 lawns (2 small, 2 big), following year 5 lawns (2 small 3 big), last year 2 lawns (both small), this year it is doing about 6 yards (2 small, 2 medium, 2 big), i must say it has more then payed itself off.
  4. Brickman

Brickman LawnSite Bronze Member

No Crapsman for me.

JD isn't a whole lot cheaper. And the steel wheels for them are $50 a piece. $200 for a set. You can wear out a lot of plastic wheels for that.

Keep an eye on Ebay. You can get new JDs off of there for like $100 or more off of new dealer price. Not sure about the Toro.
  5. TGCummings

TGCummings LawnSite Senior Member

I just bought a new 21" Toro Proline myself (for around $1000). They are well worth the price, particularly for a guy like me who 1) Uses 21" mowers almost exclusively, and 2) Mulches everything.

I've tried others (though never a Honda) and haven't found anything to come close to what these machines have meant to me. If you're planning on using the 21" regularly, and particularly if you plan to mulch, get the Toro Proline.
  6. coonman

coonman LawnSite Senior Member

In my opinion, it is well worth it. It is built like a tank and also is a great mulcher. But what I like best is that the Suzuki engine is two stroke. No oil to change, no oil filter to change. I have mowed 8 lawns in a row before having to fill up again. Great mower!!!

7. Phil Egnatz

Phil Egnatz LawnSite Member

i would buy a 32 in walk behind for 2500 why buy a push you get more with a scag 32 that was my first mower made it in fences and small spaces
  8. Phil Egnatz

Phil Egnatz LawnSite Member

i would go with a 32 in scag for 2500 it goes in fences and all it was my first mower i had 10 lawns w fences small badly used space it is supreme
  9. coonman

coonman LawnSite Senior Member

just an fyi....this toro 21 inch is not a is three speed is 4-5 mph......
  10. TGCummings

TGCummings LawnSite Senior Member

You mean somebody besides me actually acknowledged that not all 21" mowers are push mowers?!

I'm speechless... ;)