Toro 21" commerical - blade brake or not

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by IHusky, Jul 22, 2007.

1. IHusky

IHusky LawnSite Senior Member

2. T.E.

T.E. LawnSite Senior Member

Well my opinion is don't buy one. The reason. I've had more than one,and they are not as strong in the heavy grasses as the ones without the bbc. Grass will get up in the bbc part and has to be cleaned out more than I care to have to clean it. When this happens the blade will not have the proper rpm's. I have some that are the standard with the kill cable and they are a lot better. JMO, Tony

3. zak406

zak406 LawnSite Bronze Member

with it i love not having to restart after ineed to pick something up or dump the bag

4. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

avoid bbc whenever possible-just use a clamp on the dead man control.

5. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

You cant do that with a proline...

6. IHusky

Thats what a dealer told me about the bbc. Just one more thing that can break. Thanks for the confirmation. Looks like the Toro commerical with Kaw engine and no bbc. How has the 3 speed drive held up on the Toro's?

7. All_Toro_4ME

All_Toro_4ME LawnSite Bronze Member

The three speed holds up very well. Gear 1 goes about 2 mph, gear 2 about 3mph and gear 3, 4.3 mph. Just grease often and you'll be fine. I've never had a problem in all types of terrain.

8. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

like i said avoid bbc on a toro

9. IHusky

thanks, I think that I will buy before the season is over, my cub is falling apart...got 4 seasons out of it, the kaw engine is still running like a mad man. thanks to all that replied.

10. J&T Kiev

J&T Kiev LawnSite Senior Member
    from N.W In.

I use both BBC, and zone start models. The BBC saves the monotonous task of pulling the starter cord every time you move your Hands off the clutch handle. The BBC model has a cover fitted over the clutch brake belt mechanism, this cover takes up an inordinate amount space underneath the deck. Because the zone start Model lacks this cover , in my opinion it gives a slightly (though not dramatically) better cut. The only mechanical problems I had with the BBC, an easily replaced belt that snapped on the bbc mechanism.