TORO 21" Help

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by mikewhit1010, Jun 12, 2008.

1. mikewhit1010

mikewhit1010 LawnSite Senior Member

My Toro 21" wont self propell anymore. It is very new and I havent had a chance to take it apart yet. Any suggestions on what to look for when I do.

2. IA_James

IA_James LawnSite Silver Member
    from Iowa

If it's very new take it back to your dealer, it should be under warranty.

3. mikewhit1010

No its over a year old but its only been on maybe 100 lawns.

4. Chuckie481

Chuckie481 LawnSite Member

Have you tried to adjust the cable to the transmission. Turn the black knob down near the mower body in left or right direction and see what happens.You might have to adjust it more until you get the right position.

Chuckie

5. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

take it back to home cheapo and pony up for a comm toro

6. mikewhit1010

It is a commercial Toro. I think I figured it out. It has to be the band however I dont know how to change this. Any one know how to do it.

7. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

Band? Do you mean the ground drive belt? The ground drive belt is a v-belt running from a pulley on the engine shaft to a pulley that sits atop the transmission.

Putting in a new one is quite easy. The engine mounts have to be removed, engine lifted, to get a new belt in position. You only need a few simple tools and about 30 minutes to install a new one.

8. xpnd

xpnd LawnSite Senior Member

If you have the commercial without the BBC the blade and blade adapter will need to be removed first. Then the crankshaft protector plate. Once that is removed, you can get to the drive belt. These belts should not wear out after only 100 jobs. I usually get at least a year out of my belts doing 100 jobs a week with two mowers/50 per mower. If you are wearing a belt out after only 100 jobs, there is either another problem with the mower or you're using it in a way that is not correct.