toro 21 honda or kawi?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by AuburnGuy, Apr 3, 2005.

1. AuburnGuy

AuburnGuy LawnSite Senior Member

I belive i have decided on getting toro over honda. I currently have the 2 cycle engine. I was wondering for you guys that have used the new honda or kawi, which one runs better. I know the kawi is a bigger engine, does that mean it has more power, or are they about the same?
    thanks

2. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

IMO I would go with the honda. The reason is it is quieter. I demoed both the honda and kawi on the toro before I bought my honda. Both had about the same power but the honda was quieter.

3. VanceTrendov

VanceTrendov LawnSite Member

I would get the kawi, i don't wan to comment on which is a better engine. Because i am not that much of an expert. But the Kawi has a 1 gallon gas tank. I hate filling up gas because i allways spill. 1 gallon makes it easyer i just use my one gallon tank when its about to run out of gas.

Vance Trendov
    Trust Lawn Care Inc

4. ITL

ITL LawnSite Member
    from SW OH

I bought the Toro Proline 22177 with BBC and chose the Kawasaki engine over the Honda. I think both engines are good choices but the following made the Kawasaki engine an easy choice for my purchase.

The Kawasaki has a one gallon fuel tank, pressurized oil system with oil filter, higher Horse Power 6.5 versus 5.5 (note: should have higher torque but could not verify with a torque curve, and the dealer price was $60 less on Kawasaki. The only benefit I could see wth the Honda is it was less weight but you lost the other benefitial items above. After using it one season I would still pick the Kawasaki engine over the Honda.

Wayne

5. vipermanz

vipermanz LawnSite Bronze Member

those two alone would sway me enough to go with the kawasaki power

6. JJ Lawn

JJ Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

Never had a Honda 21", but do have the Toro with the 6.5 Kawasaki. I opted for the 4 cycle Kawi over the 2 cycle Suzuki, due to the fact the 6.5 has more power, do have to mix gas and it starts easy. The mower is built like a tank, and should last a long time.

I have some JD 21" with Kawi's on them that will still start on at least the first pull. But since the wheels and all othe parts on them are shot, they are sitting behind the shed. That's the reason for the Toro.

7. sildoc

I have the commercial 5.5 honda engine on my HRC216. It has the 1/2 gallon tank. I can tell you that I might fill the tank once a day and usually at the end of the day. I do not see having a gallon tank if you are not useing it. I have over 600 hours on the honda and keep a regular schedule for oil changes. I agree that the presureized oil and filter would be nice on the honda, however there is no reason for it. I have talked to other LCO's that have the honda 5.5 with over 2000 hrs on them. Im sure Jim Lewis has several of the hondas with 1500 + hours on them.
    Presurized oil lubrication works good in large engines where there are parts where the splash does not get, There is'nt any area on a small engine such as the 5.5.

8. clcare

clcare LawnSite Member

we have used hondas for sale :realmad: good engines bad decks

9. sildoc

Maybe but we are talking engines here not decks. he is looking at the toro and wondering between the kawi or honda.
    Nothing to do with the post.

10. clcare

clcare LawnSite Member

I'm sorry I thought he was looking at at honda mower not something else with a honda motor.