1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Toro 21 Honda or Kawi?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Midwest Mower, Apr 15, 2005.

1. Midwest Mower

Midwest Mower LawnSite Member

I'm preparing to purchase a Toro ProLine 21". I'm trying to decide between the Honda and the Kawi. I've searched and on other threads and one agrument was that one had a pressurized oil system and the other didn't. According to the website they both have "forced lubrication". I have had good luck with Kawi's on Scag mowers but Honda makes some great products. I'm also curious what everyone is paying for theirs.

Please advise.

2. Greenstar Services

Greenstar Services LawnSite Member

Both motors are great.It gets down to personal choice,I like the Kawis because of the torque. I've been running Kawis on my Toros for 5 years with out any problems. Good luck in your decision.
  3. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

I have kawi and hondas. I think kawi makes a much better large engine. I think the honda is the way to go with the small. Two things come to mind. One is it is quiet. second is no oil filter. It lasts the same if properly maintained but there is no expense of another filter. The honda imo uses less fuel also.
  4. LLandscaping

LLandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

I would get the Kawasaki, we have a Proline with a 5.5 Kawasaki that is five years old with no problems. The Kawasaki has more torque in thick grass, the new Prolines come with a 6.5 Kawasaki and have a 1 gallon fuel tank.
  5. Ciceros_Day_Job

Ciceros_Day_Job LawnSite Member

I just bought the 21" with the Kawi and the blade brake clutch and although it weighs a ton it is the greatest mower ever made. Toro has used the same deck design since the late 70's. I paid approx. $1360.00 for it and a roll of echo string. Expensive but it will last for years to come.

6. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

I can not advise on honda or kawi, but I bought a kawi no blade brake and paid right at $1050.
  7. gartj

gartj LawnSite Member

I just purchased the proline 21 with blade brake ($1050). Best mower I've ever owned. The additional cost of the oil filter doesn't deter me when the loss of power and torque are the consequence.
  8. Midwest Mower

I'm getting ready to purchase one with the Kawasaki but will someone please fill me in on the differences of each one. Here are the prices my local dealer quoted on each one.

22175 $1043
    22176 $1186
    22177 $1252
  9. Fareway Lawncare

Fareway Lawncare LawnSite Silver Member
    from Canada

The Small gas Tank on the Honda is a Pain in the Azz...One of the Reasons I buy Commercial 21"s is for the Big Tank so the Guys Don't have to Fill During the Day....Kaw Now comes w/the Big Tank.
  10. Midwest Mower

What is Zone Start and BBC?