Toro 21 inch mower

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by J. Davis, May 24, 2001.

1. J. Davis

J. Davis LawnSite Member

:rolleyes: I have a question....I'm looking to convert a Toro 21 inch mower with the personal pace drive system over to the drive system that the Toro Proline uses...The mower has the same deck and the Kaw. engine...I think the handle and drive system would have to be changed completely....I got a great deal on this mower, but I hate the drive system. Need help on the procedure and the cost factor....Thanks for the help..:confused:

2. J. Davis

J. Davis LawnSite Member

:confused: The system that I want to gowith is the 3 speed proline drive sytem. Can you buy these used or do you have to go new? Thanks again for the help

3. smburgess

smburgess LawnSite Senior Member

With the price of toro parts you'll probally lose your "great deal" due to the cost of parts in the conversion. I wouldn't recommend going with a used unit, you'll more than likely have to replace the gear box in no time.

4. trimmer

trimmer LawnSite Senior Member

I would sell the "great deal mower" and buy the one you are looking for. A lady that I mow for had a 2-cycle toro proline and wanted to sell it for 150 dollars but it didn't work because it had been sitting. There are plenty of deals so I would just buy what you are looking for.

5. The deck alone was worth $150. You should have bought it.

Worst case it would need crankcase seals.

6. Cutter1

Cutter1 LawnSite Bronze Member

J Davis.....I just had a fatality of one of my 21 toro's. I'm willing to part it out, maybe we can talk. Its not even two years old.

7. J. Davis

J. Davis LawnSite Member

Do you think that I will have problems changing this system over.

8. crs

crs LawnSite Member

YES!

9. casey

casey Guest

What's wrong with the Personal Pace system? I thought that was some kind of hydro.

10. smburgess

smburgess LawnSite Senior Member

LOL! that's good!