Toro 21" kickers and cut issues

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by S man, Jun 17, 2007.

1. S man

S man LawnSite Gold Member

I have a toro 21" proline that has kickers under the deck. the one in the back fell off and now I have two. The mower has left more mulched grass on top the lawn now. Just for fun, I took the kickers off today and the mower cut like crap. So I put the two back on. I'm going to replace the missing kicker soon, but what blade should I run and how do I keep the grass from clumping and leaving those lines of cut grass under the rear wheel? Do I have lack of airflow? How can I get this thing cutting the way a darn toro mulcher should?

2. jeremyt1998

jeremyt1998 LawnSite Member

Did you ever figure this out? I have had such a bad cut with these 21" toro mowers. We mow 95% St. Augustine and most yards look like we don't sharpen our blades even though we sharpen everday or ever other day(magnamatic). There is a ton of blades left in the lawn and sometimes we have to mow a couple of times to make it look great. The lower we mow (sometimes 2(1 1/4"), usally 3(1 3/4") or 4(2 1/4")the better the cut. If we mow high like the grass needs it, because of the heat, it will miss a lot grass. It won't even cut the grass not a bad cut. It must be somehow pushing the grass down instead of sucking it up and cutting. Some ideas I was thinking, my RPM's might need to Rev'ed up or maybe somehow have a discharge chute on it. I have to figure out this if I want to continue with these mowers. I have 20 toro 21" and need to figure this out. Please help with your ideas!!!!!!!!!!!

3. Bill M

Bill M LawnSite Member

I raised the rpms slightly on my 6hp Toro personal pace, really helped. The mower really needs a 7hp engine,

4. S man

I've found that toros really are not that good. Some parts needed repair on my year old proline, parts that never break with a snapper. I sold the toro and now have two snappers. Both work and cut great. I don't know why guys use the toros? The cut is bad and can't discharge from the side if the grass gets high. I can with a snapper.

5. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I would have to agree, even as a Toro fanatic it seems to me their only mower worth anything is the Wb, and then it's only because of the T-bar. Cut-wise I find other brands leave a far better cut first time over, seems like with the toros it's always double cut.

But I noticed something else, and that's deck air turbulence and the characteristics of various brands...
    It seems there are two schools concerning air turbulence, I call them directional blow, and swirl.

Both types throw clippings far out the side, but the blow kind of deck appears to be more concerned with straight air direction... Nothing cleans off a driveway or a lawn of debris like my toro Wb's (except the backpack blower), the swirl types just play around in it, but the toro is great at cleaning debris.

Meanwhile the swirl does just that, the air underneath the deck doesn't seem to want to go anywhere, but it cuts far better.

It seems there's little compromise, either a great cutting machine or one that can clear the debris, it sure is nice to be able to windrow leaves with a toro, I noticed my everride doesn't care much for that... No, I'm not talking about big leaf cleanups, just the light stuff we get throughout the year, wow the toro always picks that stuff right up and without bagging, the toro almost always seems to leave a cleaner yard.

Just weird, I'd guess to each their own but I do wish Toros cut better.

6. Bill M

Bill M LawnSite Member

I replaced my Toro with a Snapper also. I just tried dual high lift blades on it, works real well, plus it really has a vacuum sound now. The one blade required some custom machining on a bridgeport and then with a grinder.

7. S man

Interesting topsites, I've noticed with any 21", especially toro, when placed on a driveway with debris, they will swirl the grass around and not move anything. But why the bad cut? In my area, the lcos just love that 32" single blade mulching toro. I almost bought one too. But if it operates the way a 21" recycler does, I don't want it. I always had to double cut with the toro and it always had loads of crap under the deck. The snappers on the other hand are awesome. and when I need to bag, they ACTUALLY BAG! not throw grass around like the toro.

I wonder why the proline 21" is still the most popular??

8. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

because when it comes to actually cutting grass-the toro is still king-snapper is only good for bagging -leaves a very poor cut . if any one has figured out by now -the snapper is the only way to go with leave cleanup-but if i am only cutting grass-i dont use a snapper.

9. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

same issue here.......I tired everything... finley I returned it.....

dont thing I will be going with toro anymore

10. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

never had a problem with the cut on a toro but mine are all 80-90,s models. i use a gator blade