Toro 21 or honda 21 questions

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by AuburnGuy, Apr 2, 2005.

1. AuburnGuy

AuburnGuy LawnSite Senior Member

I currently have a proline 21 with the bbc. I have not liked this mower very much at all. My dealer said not many of the commercial guys have the bbc (too much trouble). My biggest complaint is it will not cut thicker grass very well at all. I go at a crawling pace just to keep it from dying many times.

My question is for you who have the proline with out the bbc. It seems they would be much better not using a belt to spin the blades. Is this true? I have also been considering a new commercial honda. The one homeowner honda i have used cut thick grass much better than my commercial toro.

Your insight would be helpful but don't make this a toro vs honda issue. I would like objective answers. Keep in mind i like the Toro dealer better.

thanks

2. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

I own a non BBC toro and a Honda HRC 216. The Honda bags wet or tall grass much better than the Toro due to the larger chute. I would imagine the BBC would be even worse due to the fact that the BBC takes up valuable space under the deck and forces grass into a restricted path.

3. saw man

saw man LawnSite Bronze Member
    from utah

Which honda do you own that cuts long grass well?

Little known fact is that honda comm. has the same deck as an old model!

4. rshofcols

rshofcols LawnSite Member
    from ohio

I use the honda HRT216 TDA commercially and I get about 2 years of life out of it. We use it every day ,6 days a week , 10 months a year. I can buy 3 of these for the price of the new exmark metro(1300) I get them for 463 including tax. They are'nt great in really wet grass but are awesome bagging mowers and have a good cut for edgeing work. The mower mulches good in leaves and grass.

5. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

As stated, the HRC 216 which is the Honda commercial, mine is the hydro.

Tall & wet grass performance is excellent by bolting a snapper high lift kit onto the the Honda blade. This helps with the Toro proline also, but due to the small chute, performance only increases to about a stock Honda.

6. Gene $immons

Gene $immons LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm sorry, what does bbc stand for. We simply avoid trying to bag tall and wet grass with out Toro 21's. I agree that the shoot is easily clogged, even with dry stuff. I don't own a Honda yet, but I am going to make a change from Toro on our next purchases.

The New Toro that came out last year, 4 stroke with the kawasaki has been so so for us.

7. AuburnGuy

AuburnGuy LawnSite Senior Member

Saw Man - I never cut tall grass with the honda, just thicker grass. It was just homeoner model that i had to borrow from the parents one day.

I'm not too concerned with the bagging ability of the mowers, mainly which one will mulch thick (not tall) grass the best without bogging down and going at a crawling pace.

thanks

8. svlandscape

svlandscape LawnSite Member

I believe BBC stands For Blade Brake Control which means that the blades will don't spin with the engine on unless you want them to by pushing on a lever and holding it while you mow. (at least on my HRC's) They allow you to empty the bag without shutting down the engine. Reason I like BBC is for safety, when I was a kid I cut the tip of my left middle finger off by reaching underneath a mower while the blade was spinning :cry: So now all my machines must have some type of safety! :angel:

9. ITL

ITL LawnSite Member
    from SW OH

AuburnGuy

Just a couple thoughts 1)If the engine speed is running a little slow the ability to cut wet and thick grass will be lowered. Have the dealer check the engine with a tach and set engine speed correctly. 2)If the BBC belt is slipping it could be reducing blade speed. We had that happen during cold weather with fall cleanups on our backup 17 year old BBC Toro. Simple cable adjustment and old glazed belt fixed that.

10. lonnie

lonnie LawnSite Senior Member

What ever you do, do not get the hrc216 if you want to mulch. I had one, and on bermuda it will bog down and quit if the grass is a little damp. I switched to the commercial toro w/6.5 kawasaki non bbc and you cannot stop it. I have heard that the bbc will take away some of the power. Look around the forums and you will see that the toro is by far the best mulching 21in out there and the honda is probably the best bagger. You could also try the new commercial honda microcut. It the supposed to mulch better because of the new deck design.